Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Extended shock project on Project UAV

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Desert Rat, Nov 14, 2002.

1. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Has anyone done the extended shock project like on Project UAV? I was planning on doing it when I have the body off and am refurbishing the frame. I am curious though as to why the shocks had to be angled towards the back. It states in the article that it provides for better extension and compression. I wondered why the stock upper mount can't be removed and the extended mount simply be put in the same place? It would seem that it would function the same other than having longer travel up and down. Or does the shock move too much front to back that it would hit the new shock mount?

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

well, i must congradulate you. most newbies do not have their profiles filled out as well as you.

2. no one agrees as to the best way to mount shocks. i am contemplating mounting my shocks through the bed, but again, i get no concensous.

the real problem that i see is that all vehicles are different and respond to different things. I am going to try mount through the bed and see what happens.

sorry i can't speel

3. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

I have. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif They don't have to be angled back. But unless you move the mounts on the axle, thats the angle they need to be for the stock lower mounts to work with out crushing the shock tubes. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

those are not the stock lower shock mounts. The stock units are in frount and behind the axle. to do the extened shocks you have to fab up new lowers to put them on the same side. MOO offers a bolt on kit and you can make them pretty easy, i did my own and it only took about a hour

5. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

It's been a while since I checked out the UAV's shock mod, but if I remember, the reason they are angled like that is to prevent them from bottoming out upon compression. Moving the top mount to the center of the vehicle allows for further extension without bottoming out on compression.

Thomas.

6. Desert Rat

I spoke to Steve Fox about his project. His rationale for angling them back was to get more extension. We agreed that you could potentially lose a little dampening by doing so but if it is a trail rig, and not a daily driver, then probably no big deal. The article said that the lower mounts would have to be removed if you have the quad setup. Does that mean if you have the single lower mount you can use it Sapper? Was yours a quad or a single? I can't see bottoming out a longer shock but I'm no math major by any means. For Zakk, are you talking about the front or the rear? As for my rear, I was contemplating the kit that Missouri Offroad Outfitters sells that relocates the lower mounts higher up and then provides a crossbar with adjustable locations that goes across the top just under the bed. I just ordered their engine crossmember and may also try their 14 bolt over the top truss product as well. I also just ordered the shackle reversal kit, the weld on frame repair kit and the brace kit from Offroad Design so that will be another project. Now I have to decide if I burn up much of my project money for a Millermatic mig welder or not.

7. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

WOW, this whole time I thought you were talking about the front shocks. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Well, the same applies for the rear, you have to angle them back or else they have to go through the floor, just no room.

8. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

I thought he ment the front also. If you do mount them up and down I'd like to see the pix's

9. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

hell now im confused /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif. but after rereading the orginal post i guess he did mean the front /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. next time i will read /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif a little better /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    those are not the stock lower shock mounts. The stock units are in frount and behind the axle. to do the extened shocks you have to fab up new lowers to put them on the same side. MOO offers a bolt on kit and you can make them pretty easy, i did my own and it only took about a hour

[/ QUOTE ] I thought he was talking about the front too. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif As far as the rear , I fabbed up my own also top and bottom /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

11. Desert Rat

I was talking about the front shocks for the majority of the thread. But Zakk replied and sounded like he was referring to the rear shocks so I commented on my plans for those. My plans for the front are to do the extended ones ala the UAV article. The rears I am considering that kit that Missouri Offroad sells.

12. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

ok. I have the front f*rd shock towers an love them. Rear are still stock loc. but will change when I get 1 ton.

13. Desert Rat

Based on your pictures, it looks like you may have put yours in the stock location. Did you replace the lower mount or just put the Ford mount on top in the stock spot?

14. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

stock bottom mount