Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Extended warranties are great!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by rjfguitar, Nov 5, 2004.

1. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

So I was cruising along the interstate this morning when my new dodge cummins shut down on me. Pulled over and 1 hr later I am at the local dodge dealership with my truck(was towed).

Anyway...I have had a couple things break on me like the A/C and the glovebox from when my girlfriend hit it with her knee. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif Dodge diagnosed that the engine failure was caused by the lift pump dropping fuel pressure, basically died.

The best part is it will all be fixed on my warranty company, tow is covered, and I get a rental car Monday morning. It only costs me $75 for my deductable to have it all fixed and I didn't even have to get my wrenches out. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Nice, but don;t let your wrench skill wane

3. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

who paid for the extended warranty? Sorry, never been a big fan these.
    Ask these questions:
    1) is there a chance that the product I am being sold will break down within an unreasonable time.
    If the answer is yes, then why am I buying it.
    2) Why should I "bet" that the product is going to break down by paying for additional "insurance"?
    3) Ever buy an extended warranty on an electronic item?

/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

The lift pump is covered under the 'standard' 100K mile Cummins warranty anyway, so the dealership should have covered that for NO cost. No, they probably wouldn't have given you a rental car but a lift pump is an easy fix (half hour to an hour) so not sure why it's taking them so long.

Keep in mind two things now with your Cummins........you need gauges - fuel pressure especially (as you just found out your lift pump failed permanently, tho it undoubtedly was running extremely low pressure for likely weeks and/or months before) and that the VP44 (injection pump) is now susceptible to dying - and it is a $1000 fix (or more if you don't do the labor).

Advice for ya - get fuel pressure gauge, boost gauge, and pyrometer gauge - www.isspro.com has great stuff (the EV series is the bomb). Join www.turbodieselregistry.com to learn and learn and learn, these are great trucks but like all rigs have weak links that we as owners need to know.

5. rjfguitar

It is almost like gambling with an extended warranty because you don't know what is going to happen but when you are talking about a motor that costs 5-6K??, tranny that is nearly 3K, completely computerized, expensive dodge A/C system, and a $1799 injection pump....all which have 100K on the ticker. You can see why I spent the $2K on the warranty which covers EVERYTHING.

You have to relize everything breaks down, even new vehicles have to get worked on sometimes because EVERY part WILL eventually fail no matter what type of vehicle or machinery.

6. rjfguitar

I am aware of the 100K lift pump warranty along with all the problems thanks to TDR.com, I spend a lot of time there. The problem there is my cummins dodge has 103K on the ticker.
    I am probably going to go with the F.A.S.S. system next time around instead of another lift pump.

The reason why it will take more than a day or two is because, like I said in my original post, they are fixing a couple odds and ends besides the lift pump and have to wait for parts to come in.

I'm not real worried about the VP44 because if the lift pump caused any damamge to it, it will die soon afterwards also and it's obviosly covered too.

7. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Ah, I thought you PM'd me you bought one with 47K on it. Must be someone else I'm thinking of, guess in your case if it has that many miles the extended warranty was worth the investment. Are you planning on any performance bombs? If so, you may want to clarify with the extended warranty people if they negate the warranty.

Either way, gauges are a must do on these trucks. Factory should have put them in, but......... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

What's your screen name on TDR?

8. rjfguitar

I am not registered at TDR yet, but I read over there a LOT.

I plan on joining the bomber club eventually but my warranty won't cover any moded parts. My hopes is I will loose the injection pump and get that replaced by my warranty along with the 47RE because the same guy that did my th700R4 in my blazer said he can completely bomb proof my 47RE, charge the warranty for a stocker installed, and I pay the difference. Basically a $4K tranny at a cost of about 1,500 hopefully. After my warranty is up the bombing will initiate.

I'd love to get some guages, probably will here eventually.

9. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    who paid for the extended warranty? Sorry, never been a big fan these.
    Ask these questions:
    1) is there a chance that the product I am being sold will break down within an unreasonable time.
    If the answer is yes, then why am I buying it.
    2) Why should I "bet" that the product is going to break down by paying for additional "insurance"?
    3) Ever buy an extended warranty on an electronic item?

/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

***UPDATE****
    Dodge figured out everything and have a total price on what it is going to cost to fix a few "minor" things.

1. Transfer pump- $400
    2. A/C- $200-500 depending on what seal is leaking
    3. Heated seats - $300.
    4. My personal favorite- $2,000 for a new dash. Apparently the dash mount is broken also along with the glovebox requiring a completely new dash. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

The bill to my warranty company will be around $3k not including the tow bill and my rental car.

Moral of the story...are purchased warranties worth it??? Just the new dash cost more than I paid for the warranty, along with the other things wrong covered, and I still have 1 year 11 months left on my warranty contract. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

10. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    1. Transfer pump- $400
    3. Heated seats - $300.
    4. My personal favorite- $2,000 for a new dash. Apparently the dash mount is broken also along with the glovebox requiring a completely new dash.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Sounds like a lot of stuff to go wrong with a truck that is only a couple years old. Sounds chincy if You ask Me. Should have got a Super Duty much better quality IMO.

11. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    1. Transfer pump- $400
    3. Heated seats - $300.
    4. My personal favorite- $2,000 for a new dash. Apparently the dash mount is broken also along with the glovebox requiring a completely new dash.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Sounds like a lot of stuff to go wrong with a truck that is only a couple years old. Sounds chincy if You ask Me. Should have got a Super Duty much better quality IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]
    1. The dodge 24v transfer pumps suck, I'll take that one.
    2. The truck has 100,000 miles on it, it is time for a recharge and system performance test on the A/C.
    3. I don't know what the deal is with the heated seats. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    4. My GF banged her knee in the glovebox, bruising her knee badly and breaking it.

A superduty??? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif My side is hurting. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Go look at the ford's interior, I wouldn't take the ford interior, even if it came with $500 bucks. My leather leats are much better quality than my buddies leather seats in his '04 Harley edition SD. The cummins is a much better engine than the new 6.0 too. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    [​IMG]

12. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

Besides, the SD just looks retarded, how are you going to get any tail in that thing. /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

13. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

***UPDATE****
    Dodge figured out everything and have a total price on what it is going to cost to fix a few "minor" things.

1. Transfer pump- $400
    3. Heated seats - $300.
    4. My personal favorite- $2,000 for a new dash. Apparently the dash mount is broken also along with the glovebox requiring a completely new dash. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like you bought a dodge. Your girlfreind kneed the dash and broke it? I regularly hit the dash in my Toyota and have punched the dash in the K5, and all i got were bloody knuckles from the K5 dash. You can go on and on about how great the Cummins is, but in the end, its still wrapped in a Dodge.

14. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Lift pumps are $150. Amazing the dealer would charge $400.

That's besides the point.

Joez - obviously you haven't seen, driven or owned a Dodge lately. The interiors are extremely comfy, high quality and as well laid out as any. I'm a former hardcore loyal bowtie guy (dog's named Chevy), but there is NO comparison to a Cummins powered truck. Chevy has had more than it's share of issues (cracked frames, etc) and there is no way to get the power out of a straight axle Chevy unless you transplant a yes, you guessed it, Cummins into it.

Ford Super Duty? /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif Read up on the Ford specific boards on how happy the owners of the 6.0 PowerJoke motor are - Ford is buying them back in droves. Cause they suck. I did my research before I bought my Dodge and looked at SD's and Duramax's - for the cost the Dodge was the better value. And a straight axle Dana 60 to boot. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Oh, and not to mention the 20 mpg I'm knocking down. Ford guys and Dmax guys are lucky to be getting 14........fact.

15. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Sounds like you bought a dodge. Your girlfreind kneed the dash and broke it? I regularly hit the dash in my Toyota and have punched the dash in the K5, and all i got were bloody knuckles from the K5 dash. You can go on and on about how great the Cummins is, but in the end, its still wrapped in a Dodge.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I agree, the dash in my K5 is much tuffer, but it's made out of metal. That is the downside of newer vehicles, plastic is used where metal used to be. In all fairness, she slammed her knee into it really hard. But still it shouldn't have broke.

I originally bought a dodge mainly because of the cummins but after having it for a while, I really like the truck. The seats are without question the best out of the big three IMHO and my dodge handles and drives better than any of our chevys and the ride is firmer and "tighter" than our 1998 Chevy 1 ton. I love the ram body style but thats purely preference.
    These trucks do have a few weak flaws like the lift pump and trac bar but bottom line every vehicle has things on it that the owners can agree that "what were those engineers thinking" on the parts or design of something. My dodge has a few design flaws from the factory but the blazers have just as many factory flaws. How about a Pinto? Or an early Taurus? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]

Joez - obviously you haven't seen, driven or owned a Dodge lately. The interiors are extremely comfy, high quality and as well laid out as any. I'm a former hardcore loyal bowtie guy (dog's named Chevy), but there is NO comparison to a Cummins powered truck. Chevy has had more than it's share of issues (cracked frames, etc)

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yep!
    /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif [ QUOTE ]
    Ford Super Duty? /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif Read up on the Ford specific boards on how happy the owners of the 6.0 PowerJoke motor are - Ford is buying them back in droves. Cause they suck. I did my research before I bought my Dodge and looked at SD's and Duramax's - for the cost the Dodge was the better value. And a straight axle Dana 60 to boot. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ] I did my research too. Bottom line if you are looking for a strong drivetrain with a solid front axle with a power plant that is not toped by anything else....the dodge cummins are where it's at. I used to think dodge trucks were lower quality and not as nice, that may have been true years back, but I was amazed at how wrong I was after taking a stroll in a D/CTD for the first time.

[ QUOTE ]
    Oh, and not to mention the 20 mpg I'm knocking down. Ford guys and Dmax guys are lucky to be getting 14........fact.

[/ QUOTE ] It sure is nice. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

17. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Lift pumps are $150. Amazing the dealer would charge $400.

That's besides the point.

Joez - obviously you haven't seen, driven or owned a Dodge lately. The interiors are extremely comfy, high quality and as well laid out as any. I'm a former hardcore loyal bowtie guy (dog's named Chevy), but there is NO comparison to a Cummins powered truck. Chevy has had more than it's share of issues (cracked frames, etc) and there is no way to get the power out of a straight axle Chevy unless you transplant a yes, you guessed it, Cummins into it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will give dodge credit, they do have one of the nicest laid out and most driver freindly interiors out there. The fit and finish just isnt there, along with cheap parts. The last dodge we owned was a 94, and while it was a decent vehicle, it was a POS at the same time.

Now, i have plenty of family and freinds who are hardcore dodge people and then the hardcore chevy people, and the older body style dodge is all the same. My neighbor has a 2000 with a bombed cummins in it, and while it is comfortable, fast, and gets great mileage, things continuously go wrong. Not big things, but the power seats only work half the time, both window motors have been replaced, the cruise no longer works, and it left the factory with glue on the carpet, just like the 94 we had.

The new body style has REALLY stepped up in quallity control and fit and finish, you can thank the name change to Daimler-Chrysler for that.

I know the cummins is THE diesel to have in a light duty truck, but like i said, at the end of the day, it still comes wrapped in a dodge.

One other thing that i have noticed with Dodge, and this is just an overall veiw, is that their quality control is very inconsistant. While our van's trans and rear end went at only 60K miles and came from the factory with glue smeared all over it, my freinds dad has one for his machine shop. This truck regularly sees trailers in excess of 7K pounds, and gets driven about 50K miles a year. It now has close to 300K miles on it, and is still on the orriginal everything. All thats been replaced is wheel bearings, and a windsheild. Granted the auto trans lost 2nd gear at 175K, but its still going. Fit and finish was perfect in that truck, but that seems to be more rare than common.

I am very aware that newer chevys have their share of major problems, which is why you will never see me in one unless its free. Me, I am a Toyota man, go ahead and laugh, i dont care. The Tundra we had was the best truck we have ever owned, and spent zero time in the shop, it never went back and it was a 1st year vehicle. Every day i miss my old longbed 83, that was a great little truck.

18. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Me, I am a Toyota man, go ahead and laugh,

[/ QUOTE ] Ok. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    I am very aware that newer chevys have their share of major problems, which is why you will never see me in one unless its free.

[/ QUOTE ] Ah ah....Don't forget every chevy, just not the newer ones. How about rediculously small u-joints in the early D44's? Full time 4wd? spongy brakes with ALL the years? The useless GIANT gas guage? 10B axles instead of the D44/12B combo that wasn't bad.(not as good as the dodge and ford 1/2 ton combos though, ford 9" and dodge 9.25" come to mind) How about the steering columbs? The steering arm system? THE GOV LOCK!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif Early th700R4's? And my personal favorite....ripping the gear box right out of the frame. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I'm not bashing on chevy's...I am just pointing out that not only the late model chevys have problems. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif You will find this trend throughout every manufacturer and every vehicle out there.

19. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

I know all vehicles have their problems. The 10 bolt combo is more than enough for a 1/2 ton truck, look at what it was designed for. You compare to a 9", well, compare apples to apples, the ford 8.8. Boy, thats a great axle, it will handle 33's under a jeep /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif The full time 4wd was pretty bad, but you gotta remember, its not like that was a GM specific thing. That was an everybody plan, the 203 was gonna be the wave of the future, and boy did that pan out /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif. I like my ginormous fuel gauge, and once again, that wasnt a GM specific deal, fords and W-series dodges had the same thing, thats just the way it was back then, trucks were trucks, and they didnt need a tach. Steering colums were crap, ill give you that. Steering arm system in stock form works a lot better than fords Y-linkage, talk about a clusterfuck of a front end, not only did they have TTB, but also Y-steering. Early TH700R4's may not have been the greatest, but they were ahead of the competition by a few years, and comparing an early 700 to a A4OD or a 46RE, ill take the 700. Mines got 230K on it, still shifts firm and crisp. Frame strenght isnt the strong suit of a 1/2 ton GM, and that steering didnt help to much up front.

20. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Extended warrantees are for pussies /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif