Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Extended Warrenty questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CK5, Sep 14, 2000.

1. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

The extended warrenties offered at the dealership are allways over priced, I am in the process of looking for one for my wife's car, anybody have any experiance with warrentygold.com? They are comming in at about 800. - 900. for a 1000,000 mile warrenty instead of 1150. the dealership wants and they say they cover worn parts as well. Any other places online to look at? good or bad?

[​IMG]
    5,000 Pounds of American Rolling Steel

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Extended warrantys are like snake oil! READ THEM VERY CAREFULLY and bring a ASC mechanic and a lawer to figure them out! Some sound all warm and fuzzy on the surface but not worth the paper they are written on. I bought one of these warranties for an RX7 I had. Well 3 instances that I thought it would cover me it did not. Lost $1k on it. You can d a lot of repairs for $1k infact the parts it took me to do the repairs myself totaled half that.
    1. 86 RX7 know problem with the piolet bearing failing. the bearing is a $10 part. when it fails it basicly keeps turing the tranny like the clutch has not been pressed. took the car to the dealer whe it went figuring it was covered. They responded "well let us have the car and we will take it appart and see whats wrong (they knew it happend to all of them) and we will see if it's covered". I enquired what are we talking cash wise if this is indeed the problem and it is not covered? $1100 was the reply. $174( clutch disc, throw out, pressure plate and pilot bearing) in parts and a weekend later I had done the repair myself. Let my ASC mechanic bud read the warranty and it had this clause "covers internaly lubricated parts on the tranny and engine" a $10 pilot bearing is not concidered "internaly lubricated".
    2. Electronic climate control module failed. Not covered. don't recall the exact wording but it wasn't covered. Part was $400 and $80 labor. Huge fit in lobby full of customer at dealer about fraud and other not nice things got the dealer to eat the $400 module and paid the $80 in labor.
    3. I for got what it was (was 12 years ago something electrical again think it was a headlight motor) not covered.

Most cars have a pretty good driveline warranty from the factory. Most cover major drive line for 60k that would cover major engine failures and tranny failures but here is the catch on any warranty. You must be able to prove you keep up on service. If your tranny takes a dump at 50k and you cannot produce a proof that you had the 30k service or if it was done at a place that they have deemed not worthy they can decline the repair as warranty covered.
    Before looking at the extend find out what the factory will cover. If you plan on dumping the car at 70k then it probably isn't worth it. FYI most big banks will not loan money on vehicles with over 75k. Unless you plan to drive the wheels off you need to sell by that point.
    Find a ASC mechanic or a service manager bud that can help you decipher what is acctully going to be covered before you lay the cash down. Many thing are concidered general maintance (clutch's, struts, brakes, timming belts) and are not covered.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

3. CK5

This is why I am asking.
    Thanks Grimm

[​IMG]

4. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

For a minute there, I thought you wanted one on your Blazer!

Steve:
    "Uh, yeah, I'd like to get one of your warranties on my Blazer"

Them:
    "What year, make, model and how many miles"?

Steve:
    "Uh, 90 Chevy K5 Blazer with 172,000 miles and several mods".

Them:
    {click... dial tone follows}

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods

5. CK5

Um, yes, I have a few problems with my rear bumper, soft top and suspension system, are those covered? And the factory winch is running slow.

[​IMG]

6. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

On the other hand...I recently purchased a (shudder) Hyundai Sonata, for my spouse( got tired of the (shudder) Lincoln Town Car<font color=red> a real POS </font color=red>!!! got the coverage on the Vehicle pushed to 200,000, with free loaners and we've used it twice so far with absolutely zero hassles...now later down the road who knows but for right now its great..car breaks, I call the dealer....not Auto Zone[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]But I guess there are programs out there that do bend you over,<font color=green> Buyer Beware</font color=green> seems to be the catch phrase here!

<font color=blue> White Knight</font color=blue>

7. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

I got a 3 year/36,000 mile warranty for my wifes new jeep. Got it from a place called Firemans Fund. It's actually a pretty good warranty. The only advice is to be VERY careful about whether or not a dealership will work on the car using that warranty. It may be just around here, but most dealerships have a proprietary 3rd party warranty company and will do NO work on any other warranty. I checked on that one pretty hard. Good luck finding one. You might try calling the dealerships around you that you might be taking the car too and see which ones they offer, it may be that you can find one through a dealer then contact them directly. Also, most insurance companies offer them payable in monthly installments with your ins. bill. The Firemans Fund warranty is actually part of their insurance division.

HTH

Kyle
    89K5

8. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Steve

I know it's not answering your question directly BUT, IMHO, warranties aren't worth a Pinch of Sh$^!! I've bought two new vehicles and never again!! All you get is forced to do is expensive maintenance to keep the warranty that doesn't cover anything in the end; much like Grim's situation! I had a Hyundai too and while it was a decent little "Point A-Point B" car, when a couple of things went wrong, it wasn't under the bumper to bumper warranty!! Go figure!

Good Luck
    Brian
    89KBlazer

9. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

They are a waste of money, anything major that will go wrong with a car or truck will go wrong in the first couple of years. Usally anything after this is lack of maintanance.Most new cars even newer used cars have a decent warrnety to begin with. Also most won't cover towing or labor anyway. Just my 2 cents.

10. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

When I bought my '90 about 6 years ago, I purchased a warranty through the dealership (can't remember what the name of the warranty company was). It cost about $1,000 (the dealership covered part of the cost as part of the deal for the Blazer) for what I think was a 4 year/50,000 mile warranty with a $100 deductible. In my case if paid for itself, especially after having to have the $500 computer and $400 diesel vacuum pump replaced plus a few other odds and ends. I don't know if I would get another one of these warranties today due to being in a different situation, but at the time it was easier to just add the cost of the warranty into the monthly payments and not have to worry about a huge repair bill which I would've have been able to cover at the time.

11. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Just read the contract carefully. When I bought my 88 Monte Carlo in 94 the one the dealer tried to sell me sounded like a POS but since I had cash he threw it in for free. It was basic and cost about $1000. I'm glad he did because the crank broke in the 4.3L at 120,000 and I got it rebuit at the Chevy dealer for $25 (the warrenty didn't cover oil & filter.) The extended warrenty I paid for is the one on my Grand Cherokee. I got it at the Jeep dealer and it was about $1000. The best thing about it was it said what it did NOT cover:wear items, glass, and trim. Everything else is covered. I had a sticky button on the radio-so I got a new one, slow back wiper motor-got a new one, but the big thing was the automatic trans-got a new one and a free loaner car. The name of the place was the Answer, their # is 1-800-462-2452. I've been happy with it so far.
    Jim '80 GMC.

It's a Wheelbase thing, You're Jeep wouldn't understand!
    http://www.bigjbear.coloradok5.com