Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Extended Wheelbase

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Mudzer, Jun 3, 2002.

1. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Stephen,

Have you ever given any thought to extending the wheelbase on your rig? After viewing some video of K5's in action at Disney Oklahoma, I started thinking about moving the rear axle back. I am thinking about extending the wheelbase at least 10". While doing this, I think I should change to a 3 link setup in order to bob the rear of the truck. Do you have any suspension systems dreamed up? What is the recommended shock travel for the rear?

Thanks for your input.

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

stephen's wheelbase is already 110" that's longer than stock isn't it?

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

3.5" longer than stock...

Neil, are you thinking of pushing the front even farther forward and bobbing the rear?

Rene

4. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Frisbie is designing a 3 link setup for his truck and I may have him make all the brackets for mine. Will probably move the front forward using some offset Zero Rates, plus moving the front brackets forward about 2".

We will see.... The neverending story. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

5. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Wheelbase is always a tossup, sometimes it helps, sometimes it hurts. I've been pretty happy at 110", I stretched it that far when I went up in ride height with the 42's and don't have a desire to go longer. It seems to work OK in tight trails and still does well on hills. If anything I'll loose the overhang or at least part of it and call it good.
    I have the belly clearance to make a longer wheelbase work so when I get rid of more skin I may look into stretching it but not for a while.