Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Extending A Arms

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by zcarczar, Jan 10, 2003.

1. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I might be getting a 2wd Blazer pretty soon and I would like to make it into a race truck or fun truck for the desert. But has anybody done this before? What about center mounting em on a new cross member? I was also thinking of moving the engine and tranny back in the frame to get a little better weight distrobution. So that would mean the motor mounts wouldnt be a problem.

2. prerunner1982

prerunner1982 1/2 ton status

yes you could center mount the a-arms...its all about money, you can do anything... you could get some race seats and make a custom tunnel and mount your engine almost completely in the cab... would be loud and hot but help distribution..

3. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Everything you can imagine to do has been done to a Blazer, from exotic A-arms to long travel twin I beams...like Jon said...how fast do ya wanna go? I have some pics of Blazers on my site, one has lengthend stock arms, one has a long travel Fabtech kit, a couple with I beams. Here is a shot of what is typically done if you want to stay with an a-arm and don't want to move the motor. Race-dezert.com has a lot of this type of info on their forum. I have more pics if ya need some pm me. The big dude over at Race-dezert ( John Bitting) just picked up a nice 2WD Blazer and has big plans for it...I'll be posting updates on my site.
    [​IMG]

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

That's a wild set up!. What steering box is it running? Doesing that offset upper control ar screw with the caster? What the hecu provides suport? I see no springs or is that thing running nitogen shocks?
    OK give me the URL to your photos! 90% of the stuff your posting is not available through the front door of your site.

Shhhhh don't tell my wife but I'm jonesing again and might have to go get that 74 and C20. Would a 3/4 ton pre runner blazer be cool or what?

5. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

It looks as if that truck is running a set of trible bypass Kings. Specs on the shocks are in the link.

Michael, why dont you be nice and give us a link to some more of these awesome photos you find. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

it looks like my van steering box

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

By the way I am making some plans for a centered long A arm setup for a prerunner style truck, but that is in the future. I will be trying to adapt some long springs from a Ford 2wd truck and all tube A arms.

8. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

The pic is from a Class 8 race truck. They have to use the stock frame and stock "concept" suspension. The coilover mounts right behind the bypass shock. You can just see it's mount in the lower arm. No idea on the steering box, generally they run beefed up stock units. The upper arm is what they call a J arm in offroad lingo.....original huh? It's shaped to allow room for the coilover, which wouldn't work with an A-arm unless it had a big hole in it. Also the top arm would have to mount where the motor is. If they are made correctly the geometry works out fine. This pic came from here, get your drool towell ready.......
    Geiser Bros.
    This is the J arm on the Herbst 4WD desert truck.
    [​IMG]

There are tons of center mount a-arms out there already.......Ford coils would be an OK cheap alternative, but a coilover sure makes a nice package.
    [​IMG]
    You want links...here ya go.

Race-Dezert
    Go to the Skunkz section...Be sure to check out the Mark Newhan prerunner for some great center mount arms with an upper J arm.

FST Fabrication For some unbelievable fab work check out the FST Trophy truck near the bottom of the page.

Need more just ask!

9. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Another J-arm I ran across fro the Fabtech prerunner, see more here: prerunners.com
    [​IMG]