Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Extending Differential Vent Hoses

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nad, Mar 4, 2006.

1. nad

nad 1/2 ton status

I'm raising my diff vents higher on the body, but I can't figure out how to go about lengthening them. Will that "hat" type piece pop out of the stock hose and into the extension? Also, what type/thickness/flexibility of hose should I use to lengthen them. I was going to drill a hole in the rear floor somewhere and raise the rear one up to about the top of the rear fender. I was just planning on raising the front one to the top of the firewall and clamping it there. Any other suggestions? Sorry for the silly questions, I feel like such a newb.

2. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

Yes the caps will come out of the hose. You might have to cut the tubing to get it out though. I had to do that with mine. I think I just used vacuum tubing, but I can't remember what size now. I did it a few years ago.

I just bought longer tubing to extend mine. I've got my front one and t-case ran up into the engine compartment. My rear one is ran back over the top of my gas tank for now. I will probably run it into the fender well or somewhere else more protected later on. :D

Rick

3. nad

nad 1/2 ton status

Anyone else have any suggestions?

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I just used the same size hose, something like vacuum hose or similar will work, i also added alittle more "loop" to the part that "stretches" between the diff and the clamp on the frame rail to help with preventing in the unwanted stretched removal when flexing alittle too far.:D

not that hard of a thing to finger out.:p:

5. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I went to Home Depot and bought the clear tubing that hase a nylon mesh in it. Cheaper than vacume hoses or any hose at the auto parts store. I used a drill to open the ends up to get them over the outlet on the pumpkin but they worked great. I ran my rear along side the gas lines and used T connectors to tie in the tranny and t-case vents and went all the way to the firewall. never had a problem with them. Even when it was on it's side.:D