Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Extending front brake lines

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big blazin sc, Jan 13, 2005.

1. big blazin sc

big blazin sc Registered Member

I am going up to 4 inch springs in the front and have heard i will need to extend my brake lines and am wondering if i could get some pics and instructions on how to do this. thanx

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I used extensions from NAPA. Don't have the part number, but they gave me plenty of length. You can see them i the pic, although its not a very good shot. They screw into the original fitting at the bracket and into the original hose. Gonna be pretty much the same thing with extended hoses. I used very small zip ties to take up the slack - they will break long before tha hoses if the hoses ever became a limiting factor.

Make sure that you use teflon tape and that you have flare not wrenches to take the originals apart. Regular open end wrenches will round off the nut. Nothing to it really.

[​IMG]

3. grindkings

grindkings 1/2 ton status

I just went to Autozone and bought longer brake lines.

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Go to Napa and ask for Part number #38872. They are extended rubber lines for the front axle. They work for lifts up to 6" generally depending on the amount of flex. As long as you aren't running a custom flexy spring you should be fine.

I recommend against braided stainless lines. I have had one fail on me before. The brand I had was Superlift. DO NOT use there lines.

Harley

5. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

How did they break?? Did they just fail with no warning or did you over extend them or something??

6. Hossbaby50

I was driving down the street and had to get on the brakes kinda hard and the fitting at the framerail failed and the line split. There is no way the line got over extended cause I had a 2.5" lift with shocks that limited the travel at the time, and the lines were for a 4-6" lift kit. They were also installed by a pro-mechanic.

The scary part was I was approching an intersection when they failed so I had to roll threw a red light. It was 1230 at night though so it was pretty empty and I made it threw without hitting anyone or getting hit.

Harley

7. 85mudblazin

man that sucks, you thikn maybe the mechanic messed them up or something?? not doubting your experience or nothing but it seams like if the lines were just plain junk then they wouldnt be on the market very long, I know superlift has been around for lots of years and it seam like they would make a quality product.

8. Hossbaby50

My mechanic has been the only one to work on my truck beside me for years. He is a friend of my dads. He has always done good work and I doubt he messed them up.

The fitting that Superlift uses at the frame is a press-on fitting and it pressed out under the pressure.

Harley

9. 85mudblazin

What did superlift have to say about them?? I hope mine dont do that, I looked and they do looked to be crimped/pressed on.

10. Hossbaby50

I just took them back to the store I bought them at and warrantied them. I then got rid of the lines and replaced them with Napa #38872's and haven't had a problem since. The Napa lines are about 1/2 the price of the Superlift lines too.

Harley

11. 85mudblazin

the only prob is they arnt long enough, i had to got the linesfor when i swap in 52's up frint, they are for a 12" lift.

12. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

i wish i knew about this extended brake line sooner, instead i replaced my whole front brake line boy i feel stupid now

13. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Go with a center drop line, it is easier and safer. The hydraulic shops here will build you custom lines all day long out of heavy duty reinforced rubber. If you mention steel they shake their heads and comment on how the press fitting can fail and they won't trust them.

Just my .02, and I do have stainless on my rig with no problems for 4+ years.

14. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

:confused: :what:

15. cbbr

"plumbers tape" on the top of the threads to make absolutely sure that you have a tight seal and don't get a leak. Stuff is real cheap and comes in a variety of compounds for different applications. Just a nickle's worth of insurance against leaks.

16. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Not to start an arguement, but I have always heard that it is a bad idea to use plumbers tape on flare fittings because the tape can actually cause a leak, and because of the design of the fitting the tape is useless because if it leaks it will do it between the tubing and nut instaed of around the threads.

17. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Don't know anything aboutthe tape issue. I for one did not use any.

I installed the Napa brake line extensions last month when i moved my shackle mounts. I will get the part number tonight if i can find the box or reciept. Probably snap a pic or two since i will be getting a few of the custom shackle's i built.

18. cbbr

You might be right. It was recommended to me by a local brake guy and it was real cheap, so I used it. I wouldn't swear by it either way. As far as starting an argument, I always welcome that. It is a great way to learn, and I have a lot to learn. I have learned more on this board from the "discussion" of topics than anywhere else. Looks like I have another question that needs an answer. Tape or no tape???

19. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

Tape is for sealing joints where the sealed is made by the taper of the threads (Pipe threads, and nothing else). Any type of compression joint, or a flare fitting (regular, inverted, 27 degree, whatever), there is NO need to use tape. The threads are not part of the seat. The flare seat is the seal. All tape will do is prevent you from tightening the joint properly.

20. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Few Pics......Don't laugh at my crap shocks. They are not charged anymore and are just there mostly so i have something to zip-tie the brake lines to:haha::haha:

New ones are on the way.
    The extensions were 14" long and cost $22 each

Last edited: Oct 5, 2007