Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Extending shackles front and rear

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Jimmyish, May 20, 2002.

1. 78Jimmyish

78Jimmyish 1/2 ton status

Is extending the front and rear shackles a safe and economical way to gain an inch or two? What's a reasonable amount to lengthen them by. Obviously, I can't make shackles that are a foot longer than stock, but I was thinking about extending them each by two inches.

BTW: I was planning on doing it out of 3/8 stainless plate - should be MORE than strong enough.

2. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

You can extend the front shackles by a little bit but you have to keep in mind that it will change the steering geometry/alignment. You also have to pay attention the angle of the front driveshaft since longer shackles will rotate the pinion down. I would not recommend more than an inch or so because of these issues. Also remember that the total amount of lift you gain will only be half of the extended length of the shackle, so in order to get 2" of lift you would need shackles that were 4" longer than stock.

For the rear shackles, if they are still in the stock configuration you would actually lower the vehicle if they were lengthened.