Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exterior Tire Carrier: Where can I get one?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Rainmaker, May 29, 2002.

1. Rainmaker

Rainmaker Newbie

I have a 1987 Silverado K5 and would like to get a tire carrier that will mount to or around my OEM bumper so I can get the tire out of the back. I located one by a manufacturer but it was $480. About twice what I was figuring it would cost and more than my pockets can bare.

thanks for the help

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The stock bumper isn't up to holding a spare tire. It will just bend. There are some aftermarket units out there that bolt to the body, but they tend to eventually crack the tailgate shell and bend the sheetmetal around the tail light. I can't find a link to them right now, but I'll bet someone will chime in with a link soon. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

3. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

What size tire would it be for? Valley makes them but I wouldn't go over a 33" tire with them for sure...

4. barbastard

barbastard 1/2 ton status

I've got an aftermarket spare tire carrier that bolts onto the body above the tail lights and on the middle of the tailgate on my 1977 K5. Had it on there for about 9 years with no problems. BUT....you're pretty much limited to about a 31 inch tire. You might be able to go to a 33 but then you would really start to push it. Both in weight of the tire and wheel (especially if steel) and clearance with the tire. I think the manufacturer was "Valley Industries". Hope this helps......

5. Rainmaker

Rainmaker Newbie

Right now I have 32X11.50's on the K5 b/c that is what came on it when I bought it and they were like new. When I wear them out I'm going up to 33's. This is a daily drive truck for me. I want it to perform, be dependable, and practical. I've got a little boy that's about to be 8 months old that will one day be my hunting buddy. The truck has got to hold our camping/huntig gear and get us there!

6. k5wantabe

k5wantabe Registered Member

I have one. It is a chrome bar with black holder. I bought it and decided to stay with the internal because I tow a trailer. It has been modified to take up to a 35" tire, so would work with your future 33's. It bolts to the corner top and bottom and has a brace above the rear latch which helps distribute the weight. It also has internal braces for the corners. I could email you pics if interested. Send me a PM if your interested.

7. Anteak

Anteak 1/2 ton status

I might be interested if Rainmaker doesn't want it. E-mail pics. please.
    Sorry for barging in on Rainmakers post.

8. Rainmaker

Rainmaker Newbie

The one you want to sell: What does it mount to? What drilling is required? thanks