Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exterior tire carrier??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bablazer73, Jan 19, 2003.

1. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I am looking for a spare tire carrier for my everyday blazer. I just want a swing away style. don't want the bumper with the carrier on it. Looking for one like(do I dare say) what's on bronco's eeeeggggghhhads, I said it!!
    But thats what I want. I can't find one. Does anybody make one?? Did GM ever have one on the full size?? I am tempted to take the one off my wifes S10, but it looks small.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. BulldogK5

BulldogK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

The furds had extra backing in the corners. My dad had one on his '76 many years ago. It was fairly solid when first installed but over time began to sag. Check in the tech articles on the opening page. The one for S.E.C. bumpers will carry you there. Fred makes one that bolts behind the bumper. Looks good.

3. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

yeah i realy want the same thing myself

4. Klink K5

Klink K5 1/2 ton status

I have a swing out type spare tire carrier and it is for sale. It is on a origional 75 K5 blazer. If you want it, PM me back and we'll go from there! Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

They were used at one time or another. My '73 still has the the bottom mount for an old carrier-it made a good CB ant mount.

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Valley makes one. J.C Whitney. Not sure it would be good for anything over a 33. Two styles one will hold a Jerry like the one on my Wifes 79 pictured below.
    [​IMG]

7. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

I have a stock 75 carrier for sale as well, let me know /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. bablazer73

does yours look like the picture in this post?

9. Grim-Reaper

The tock set up is simular to the Valley. The body mounts are cast aluminum. It's mounts in the same location. Will not carry a Jerry can. Tire will be closer to passengerside. Valley also makes just a tire one also and again closer to passengerside. None of these carriers centers the spare even with the Jerry set up the tire mounts more towards the passengerside. MAX tire size on any of these is going to be 32-33.
    Might be a picture of the factory set up here.
    http://www.slosh.com/cars/brochures/
    Have to dig though.

10. Grim-Reaper

Well I'll be check this out! the Valley carrier was dealer avaialbe in 79! This is not the original carrier that they had back in the mid 70's.
    [​IMG]

11. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

what size tire could it get on it? stock was about 32"

12. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

Ihad a 33 inch on mine

13. Grim-Reaper

33 max. a 32 inch BFG on a stock rally is about 70lb. a 35 inch BFG on a rock crawler is right a 90lb (I weighed mine). The 31 spare on my wifes only has a couple of inches clearence on the bumper. 31 was the biggest tire offered till late 80's and then you could get a tire close to 32. but the tire carrier was not offered then. It's as much a weight issue as anything. The carrier like pictured has a extra brace for the Jerry can holder so it handles the weight better than just the tire version BUT I'm not sure you could get a 33 on it with the Jerry. It's tight with the 31 and I had a pretty worn out 32 as a spare and the tire and the can only have about 1/2 inch clearence.

14. bablazer73

well, you brought up a point I didn't think of. I do plan on mounting a 33 for a spare. It also has to be able to hold an 8 lug rim. Will an 8 lugger mount on it? I will puchase a cheap(yeah, right!) aluminum rim, but it will most likely be a 16" rim. would it fit??

15. Klink K5

Klink K5 1/2 ton status

Looks just like the one grimreaper has /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

I have a 35 mounted to mine. Its the valley one identical to the one in the picture grim posted.

17. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Had one I took off 73 K5.Rattled too much for me.Already gave it to a friend.Love the comment on football,hope it's not just for one team. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gifer /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Nice K5. looks like you go to Tellico.88 GMC{gold}HiPin D60 fnt on 38s.Igo to SMT/V Every year{Xept 2001,doing SFA swap then}. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. oatsk5

oatsk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have one of those valley carriers dont know if it factory but its not stayin i wnat a bumper mounted like shauns sp? on the potent rodent /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

20. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I would NOT mount the carrier to the body if your truck is in decent condition. It will cause fender deformation over time.

There are people out there who can make a spindle type swing-gate that cmes off of your stock bumper.