Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exterior Trim Removal

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1HighK5, Mar 23, 2005.

1. 1HighK5

1HighK5 1/2 ton status

Hi I would like to know if anyone has removed the plastic trim from the outside of their truck. My truck is solid black but the 85 trim is very faded and look'n kinda nasty. I want to remove it but I want to take it off without taking the paint off with it. Has anyone ever done this if so I would like any info you could offer. I was thinking i could just take the heat gun to it for a few seconds as I peel it off then compound the rest of the sticky stuff off. My truck is no show peace so it doesn't have to be extra perfect I just want that trim off. Thanks again John

2. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

Be careful with the heat gun, I tried that and by the time the stubborn trim came off, the paint was spidered underneath and some of it came off with the molding down to bare metal. I stopped using the heat gun, and did something that worked better for me. I started the molding coming off by working fishing line behind it and pulling by hand what would come after that. Then I went down to the local auto paint suppy and bought a pin stripe/moulding adhesive remover wheel, threw it on my drill, and all the adhesive and residue came right off leaving the paint perfect underneath. You can order them online if you don't have a local place, I can find the website and pn if you need it. None of this was my idea, I found all the info by searching old threads, I'd give them credit if I could remember who suggested what, it was all good advice. BTW, my burb looks 10 times better with that ugly stuff gone.

3. 1HighK5

1HighK5 1/2 ton status

Thanks Alot

Thanks for you input the fishing line sounds like it will do just fine. And that pin stripe/Moulding adhesive remover is good idea I'll try and get one of them. I have hated that trim since the day I got the truck it will be good to finally get rid of it. Thanks for your help

4. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well, I did it the redneck way since I'm repainting my truck anyways. I tried to be gentle with it and use a heat gun, but it was pretty stubborn. I ended up using a pliers, chisel, and cuss words. The two adhesive strips are still kinda there as you can see in the pic below. However, now that I look at the paint, it really isn't it too bad of shape where it was underneath the trim. If you can get the trim off like I did I think you'd have a much easier time getting the adhesive residue. Anyways, here's a pic to show you what's left and just because I feel like showing the whole world my boggers :whistle:

Picture 006.jpg

5. 1HighK5

1HighK5 1/2 ton status

Yeah that trim is a pain I tried to take it off once before when I first got my truck but it is really on there. My truck is far from perfect so it really doesn't matter as long as I can clean it up to half way decent you wont see it after one trip through the mud anyhow.

6. 1HighK5

1HighK5 1/2 ton status

BTW just would like to know how the truck is with the Boggers and 4.56's I plan to run the same setup only I have a SM465 in my truck.

7. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well, I wish I could tell you at this point in time. The truck is sitting exactly like you see it. I'm in the middle of the axle swap right now. The rear is almost done but the front hasn't been touched. I'll shoot you a PM when I get everything together if you're still interested.