Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

external cage for my 88

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dirtwarrior17, Feb 25, 2005.

1. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

I don't even know if they make em but thought id give it a shot. I'm looking for something that will protect the body really well in a rollover. is it possible to roll with one of these things and have no damage?

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Anything is possible. It depends on the terrain and type of rollover. I personally am not a huge fan of making an already wide truck any wider then it already is. To each there own though. For what I wheel it would kill me. I would be hung up on the exocage all the time, where you are it may not.

Harley

3. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

There was a thread about a guy making a pretty good exocage a few days ago. Like Harley said, it all depends on what you wheel and how much damage you're willing to take. My tires are gonna end up way the hell out there and I come up against a lot of trees when I wheel, so it really wouldn't hurt me any. But I hear a lot of southern folks struggle with the added width on the rocks. Keep in mind that a good interior cage can be had for around $350 including shipping.

4. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

good point.... an exocage is the only way i'd do rocks but i was looking for something that i could bolt on for a weekend trip at say, moab and take it off for work the next week.

If it won't save the body its gonna be a while before I get a cage of any sort.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

So with the addition of an Exocage, it'll hold the driveway down better or what?

6. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

lol..... missed the point... if i roll it its totaled. if i roll it with an exocage i need to get some bondo. I drive it daily but i also will be doing some of the more extreme stuff. about 50 percent on road and 50 percent off.

7. bboy

bboy Registered Member

external roll cage

here is my exocage. i haven't wheeled enough yet to know whether i will like it. bboy
    [​IMG]

8. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Without a whole $h!tload of engineering talent, I don't think you'd be able to build an exocage of any quality that's easily removable. :screwy:

9. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

Ma, pa i want one of those.

Did you build that? Or do you know somebody who would be me a cage just like that?

10. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    One of these days I'd like to do one but make it as stylish/hidden as possible.
    Keep it the same color as the truck and follow the body lines if possible.
    Might be impossible but I'd like to try.
    Good luck with yours.

11. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

Thanks.... i'd like to start out with something like that then add on to it to make it as strong as possible.

BBoy: did you buy that or was that a custom job? I'd be interested in purchasing something like that or that same cage in 3 or 4 months if at alll possible.

12. bboy

bboy Registered Member

Exo

Mine should have adequate strength, it goes through the roof and creates a "V" on a new crossmember behind the front seats. There is also a bar that goes through the bedsides from one side to the other. I guess I could have added gussets but I got tired.
    I built it myself with the help of friends on a pro-tools 105 that i beefed up. You can do it yourself. Just make some sort of protractor, measure a lot, bend a little at a time, test fit and don't lose patience.
    I'm glad you like it, bboy

StormTrooper thanks. I like your rig!