Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

external harddrive crapping

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84gmcjimmy, Sep 20, 2005.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I have an external hard drive.
    Last night when the computer was off, there was the orange WORKING light that comes on when your using it, i.e. transferrring files.
    Then we couldn't start the computer, or else it froze.
    Earlier that day I couldn't open ANY files on the external drive without either the folder freezing/"Not responding" or windows media player freezing too. Sometimes I couldn't even open it.

Is it possible there was just a bug or something? I unplugged it and the PC ran fine. Busy doing a bunch of scans, just in case spyware was messing with me.

any ideas?

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

plugged it in for the first time since I unplugged it.
    At first the harddrive didn't show up on my computer. Then the 2nd try it did, when I clicked on it "my computer" folder froze and I had to force quit it.

Whats wrong? I cant even access it?

3. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Failure? :doah:

4. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

What brand drive and computer Steve?

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Sounds like you're using a Mac. I'll guess you're using a firewire drive? These are most often simply IDE drives in a housing with a firewire convertor and power supply. If it's scsi (big connector with many pins), you might be at the end of the drives natural lifespan...

I had some old Firewire Que external drives a few years ago that had a seriously flawed case design that allowed the drives to overheat. We'd get them replaced on warranty about once a year. I notice many newer external drives still have poor airflowing housings.

If you can figure it out and the drive is definately not under warranty anymore, see if you can open the case/housing so the actual drive can breathe a little. Hard drives are like 700R4's, they don't like heat... If you do that and it's successful, get your data off the drive and kiss it goodbye. If you still don't see success, pull it out of the housing, open the computer up, and plug the drive directly into the IDE channel inside the computer (flat ribbon cable). That can get a little more complicated for someone unfamiliar with it, with slave/master and position on the wire, etc, though.

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Nope im using windows.
    Windows XP home or professional, not sure what one.

The harddrive is a Maxtor. and it uses a USB cable

We've had it for a few years, but I dont think it should die that soon. It was 80 gigs and almost filled up :mad:
    It has cooling fins or "cracks" in the front, a few on the side, and most of the underside is covered up. I will check when the warranty ends before I attempt to open it up. Just so I dont void the warranty.

7. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Any other problems or just freezing when you try to use the drive?

Sounds like a communication error, software conflict, or it died a horrible death.

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Just freezing when I try to use it. It either freezes the harddrive folder, or anything that runs from the folder, or needs to use it.