Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

external spare tire carrier (original)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 6.2L Jimmy, Mar 3, 2002.

1. 6.2L Jimmy

6.2L Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Howdy All!

Does anybody have some pictures of a Blazer\Jimmy (fullsize) with an external spare tire carrier that was th G.M factory option (G.M original)? I just bought one from a scrap-yard and the guy there was telling me they are pretty rare and were discontinued in the mid 70's. I just want to be sure I have everything.
    Thanks .

Mike

2. GONZO2

GONZO2 1/2 ton status

i believe the xternal spare tire carier was an option until they changed the blazer style in 92.
    i just saw a 90 jimmy with it on there.

3. 6.2L Jimmy

6.2L Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Hey Thanks!

Thats good to know. I might try to call G.M. for some info.
    I would still appreciate some pics if anyone has some.
    Thanks Again
    Mike

4. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I see you plan on putting 33's on. If you plan on putting a 33" tire on one of those mounts you could be in a world of hurt. I had one and I mounted a 33" on it an with in about two weeks it compleatly ripped it from the body just from itting a little pot hole in the road. I had to repair my quarter panel from where it ripped the bolts out from all the weight.

5. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i had a 33 on mine for over a year with no problems. my QP was bend from when i bought the blazer, but it was dented in a bit(inward.)
    Grant

6. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

I knew someone who had mounted up a BFG 35" tires on his 88 blazer. 1 fishing trip off road and it was going to tear loose form the truck. Did alot of damage. He replaced the panels and did some welding on it the mount and the hinges and ran the bolts throguh tese plates so they took the weight not the sheet metal and it worked well.

7. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

My 87 came with a swing away carrier. I trashed it, knowing I would be hauling 33 or 35's on it and not wanting to rip up the sheetmetal. From the way the mounting was done, it looked like a dealer installed item for the US Government, the original owner of my truck.(ex border patrol) Very sloppy mounting.

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

99.9% sure that these were not a factory option. It is not listed in '85/'86 parts manuals, nor has anyone else stepped forward with information straight out of a service or parts manual proving that they were an option.

As well, on the web page listing all of the dealer brochures for almost all K5 years, I don't recall seeing a single picture of a K5 with external spare tire carrier.

If you look closely at the carriers, you will see that there are at least two different styles, and the way the trim was done on most of them, they don't look stock to me. Besides, there isn't any "reinforcement" of the body like GM would have done to stay away from warranty problems.

Unless someone comes up with a GM part # or RPO, I'm gonna say they were not a factory option. Perhaps dealer (thus the amount of them out there) but not from the factory. I'd be happy to change my mind if someone can prove otherwise.

9. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Don't do it unless your body is already trashed or it will be.

I ran the smallest spare I could (29" I think) and it caused visible damage from the extra stress.

10. ducati-cooter

ducati-cooter Registered Member