Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

External spare tire holder

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chev4life, May 27, 2003.

1. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

I need a spare tire holder that will hold at least a 35x14.5 behind the tailgate in the 87 K5. I would like something that would work similar to the stock bronco holder, but everything I have found says not to use with 35's. I only have 33's now, but the only thing holding me up on 35's is I would have no place to put the spare. Any help would be great guys. If you have other options on doing this...let me see them also. Oh...I thought about a roof rack, but I still need to get into parking garages and only have about 6-7inches of clearance on them right now.

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Best bet is gonna be a bumper-mount job. The sheetmetal on that corner and the tailgate is the limiting factor -- that stuff is just THIN. The carrier itself isn't the problem, it's what it's mounted to.

Might also consider putting the spare up front; you can prolly keep decent ground clearance without losing much if any visibility.

3. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

I would like to keep it out back, need as much visibility up front as possible and as much air flow over the radiator as possible. How do the bumper mounted ones work? Do they swing away also? I use the truck alot for towing my boat and cant have something that will get in the way.

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

4x4 Iron sells the bumper mounted carrier

5. bad andy

bad andy 1/2 ton status

i am also interested in an external spare carrier, i don't mean to hi-jack just trying to get the info you want. the 4x4 iron bumper is just too expensive for my budget. how were the earlier models reinforced to hold a spare tire??

6. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

The typical Valley Industries-style carrier bolts to the corner panel, passenger side, and has reinforcing plates that go inside that panel (remove the taillight lense, or the interior panel to get in there.)

There's also a strap that goes onto the tailgate, and this is the one that scares me the most /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

7. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Pretty much any pre-built tire carrier with cost somewhere in that range. You may want to check out the local welding shops to quote you a price.

8. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

I cant seem to get the 4x4 iron website to work on my comp here at work, how much are they and what do they look like? Has anyone used them when towing a boat? How strong are they? Also...where do I find a few pics of the valley industries one? Can that fender be reinforced to take a heavier load, maybe slap soem plate steel in there of something?

9. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Here are a couple 4x4 Iron bumpers.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

just one thing to think about with rear bumper mounted tire carriers... b4 u spend $$$$$$ on one, ask urself if u are ever gonna run bigger tires and more lift. I dunno about anyone else, but I run 39.5x15x15 TSLs offroad, and I cant lift on 5' in the air in order to get it on/off that kinda mounting system. Back when i ran 35s it seemed like a good idea... now I'm glad it didnt spend the $. If you are one of those guys that can throw 150lb tires around with ease than charge on... just thought I'd bring it up incase u r a stickman like me. lol! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

AFA spares when wheelin, why not just tie it down in the bed?

j

11. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

back yur k5 up to a ledge

12. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

I am not worried about getting the tires on and off of the mount, if for some reason I cant lift it on I will figure something out /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Those bumpers look pretty sweet, how do the spare tire holders work on them? Do they swing out so you can drop the tail gate? Also, do they make a holder in a similar style that doesnt require a new bumper, I like the somewhat stock look of the nice chrome.

13. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Yes the tire carrier part swings out. SEC made a tire carrier for use with the stock chrome bumper, unfortunately they are no longer in business /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif but you may be able to find a used one.

14. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    back yur k5 up to a ledge

[/ QUOTE ]

lol! thats exactly how i got my 39.5s back in the bed of my rig after wheelin at TSF last time. Backed up to a biiig rock and pushed em up the rock and then onto the t-gate. Worked ok, but a swing away carrier would require lifting the tire even higher... and someday when I have 42s (or bigger!) the problem of not being able to lift the thing up there is only gonna get worse. Once I can weld I'll prolly fashion something up that allows me to hoist things in/out of my rigs bed... maybe then I'll ponder a rear bumper tire carrier. At any rate, i was just tryin to help... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

j

15. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

that what the guy sitting next to you is for... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

What you guys can't haul a 38.5" swamper up that high /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Even I had to when I got a flat and couldn't get the rear gate open and I am just a little girl /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I am the process of building a bumper mounted tire rack to hold my 38" spare. For some reason blazers are too small to lug around a 38" tire, 3 kids, and groceries...wish I kept my suburban now. Anyhow I'll put up pics when I get it all done to help with any ideas, so far it looks great /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    What you guys can't haul a 38.5" swamper up that high /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Even I had to when I got a flat and couldn't get the rear gate open and I am just a little girl /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I am the process of building a bumper mounted tire rack to hold my 38" spare. For some reason blazers are too small to lug around a 38" tire, 3 kids, and groceries...wish I kept my suburban now. Anyhow I'll put up pics when I get it all done to help with any ideas, so far it looks great /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I wanna see the pic of the little girl hefting a 38.5" tire /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

18. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

at my work, i can get almost any material for building bumpers and cut it with a cnc router! i can't wait till i have the time to build it! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

19. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I built this one, its like the 4X4Iron bumper and is holding a 38" with no problem...

[​IMG]

20. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

Damn TonyP that thing is sick! I take it you are pretty good with a welder...wanna make a second /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif So SEC is out of business...that blows, I finally found a pic of the holder and that thing is bad ass. Anyone know of a way to get them anymore? For fabbing a custom one....what are you guys using for a joint and lock? It really doesnt look that hard, just time and planning. TonyP what did you use to swing that thing out? McMaster carr goodies?....always need an excuse to order from them /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif