Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

external starter button?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigoltrux77, Dec 28, 2002.

1. bigoltrux77

bigoltrux77 1/2 ton status

My ignition cylinder is all mucked up and i dont feel like replacing it, so i was wonder if i could mount a push button switch somewhere kinda hidden so i could just push it and start it, no key or anything. What wires would go to the switch? Im not worried about it getting stolen, so i just want to know what wires(colors) i would need to tap into to make this work. Thanks again.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

A new lock cylinder costs less than $20 at Pep Boys. Takes maybe 30 minutes to swap it out. You'll need a steering wheel puller and a lock plate compressor. Many parts stores will loan ya the tools to do it. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif That would be less hassle than figuring out the correct wiring for the starter and ignition. Your stock ignition switch turns off the accessories in the truck while in the start position. That would be pretty tough to duplicate with a jury rig. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

i got something like what your talking about but. i have a push button on my dash that will turn to starter over with out the key in it but it will not start because with out the key in it and turned to the on postion there is no juice goning to the ignition.

4. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I just took off the actual switch, which is down on top of the column. It is actuated by a little rod. I remounted it behind the dash in a convienient spot and installed a little rod thru a hole in the dash. You can put a knob on it or bend a loop in it. Now, you pull the rod start, it springs back by itself to the run position. Then when you stop, push in to the off position. Too far and you go to the ACC, but it's not too big a problem. This way all the accesories and ignition work just like stock. You can turn the switch around and have a push to start also.

Like the others said, if ya want a pushbutton, you'll have to have another switch, toggle or key, to enable the ignition. I bought a key switch from Autozone and have a pushbutton start now. You can see it on the bottom left.
    [​IMG]