Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

External Transmission Filter

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SummitXMK, Aug 27, 2003.

1. SummitXMK

SummitXMK 1/2 ton status

http://www.truckperformance.com/products/?...roductID=756195

I have been using my truck to tow a two place snowmobile trailer all winter at about 1500 - 2000 lbs including sleds gear etc. Now I have added a 300 dollar camper and think I need some better protection for my tranny. I want a gauge and plan to change the filter and fluid once a year no matter what. This would make it easier to do both but will it really work? Has anybody used one of these or should I just drop the pan and buy a regular temp gauge setup?

gslim

2. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Not sure what the link showed, it seemed to take me to the menu page.

A temp gauge is a good investment. There are some that insert in the drain pan plug. You pull the thermistor to drain the fluid BowTie Overdrive sells temp kits and probably has what is required for the TH350.

Complete fluid change once a year is a good idea. This means not only changing the pan fluid and filter but flushing the fluid out of the torque converter also.

I do a complete flush on my vehicles usually once a year.

3. SummitXMK

SummitXMK 1/2 ton status

oops my bad. Its supposed to take you to a ket that puts a spin on type filter on your tranny I am guessing in the pressure lines. It allows for you to change the filter just like changing your oil inside the bracket that the filter screws on to there is a temp sensor. Its buy permatex I believe I will try one more time for a link
    /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

http://www.perma-cool.com/Catalog/Cat_page25.html

so we will try this one

4. 88Silverado

Well I looked at the link and I dont think its worth the investment. Yes, it adds another filter but you still need to change fluids. Unless you have a drain plug installed in your tranny pan, you still have to drop the pan to change the fluid which means you need to replace the gasket and that comes with the standard filter kit !!

Stock TH350 pans did not come with a drain plug. You can get aftermarket ones or have drain plugs installed (which is a great convienence) then install a temp pickup in the drain plug hole. The thing that kills transmissions is heat which causes the fluid to degrade which causes varnishes and slippage to occur. Its not sludge or debris from normal clutch wear. Standard trans fluid runs around 180* as it goes up, its life shortens. A case of tranny fluid is only around $12 and a filter and gasket kit is another $5, so for under $20, you can do a complete fluid flush. Cheap maintenance.

Also, when you drop the pan to change the fluid, that is only about 1/4 of the total fluid in the transmission. The remaining is in the valve body (small amound) and the majority is in the converter. So only changing the pan fluid kinda dilutes the rest of the old fluid with newer stuff, thats why I do a complete flush.

5. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

I have run one of those spin on type units on my transmission for years, The unit I bought also has a location for a temp. gage. I do not like a complete system flush because it usually ends up stirring up too much crap, and causes particles that are logged someplace to break free and now circurlate in the trans. Most shops are going away from this type of system because of this problem. If your really worried about the old fluid in the torque converter, get another person pull off the return line from the cooler to the trans have your able bodied assistant add fluid to the tans as the old stuff comes out and run about five or so quarts from the return into a pan on until it comes out clean. Also have the bottles real close by and open because this stuff comes out fast. Sure beats spending 60.00 or more for a shop to do the same thing.

6. 88Silverado

I do not like the transmission flush systems at service or oil stations either. I was referring to pulling the return line and doing it yourself, not the machine. Theres about 10-12 quarts for a compelte flush. There are also other posts on how to do that. I guess you could use the external filter, pull the return line once a year, flush the system and never replace the internal filter if the external is working well.

7. SummitXMK

SummitXMK 1/2 ton status

Thanks

I guess I will just get a autometer gauge and change it normally. I just thought I would check.

gslim

8. 88Silverado

Re: Thanks

You need to see how the autometer guage works.
    Where does the temp sensor get inserted?
    You will probably need to drill a hole in the pan for the sensor.
    Think about what you wnat to do...the external kit may be a good solution for you.