Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Externally regulated alternator

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RustBuket, Nov 17, 2003.

1. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I was just wondering what vehicles they come in because I'm looking to make myself an onboard welder... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Also, would it be possible to take an internally regulated alternator and remove the regulator???? Thx.

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I am not exactly sure what models of vehicle used them but they are Ford alternators that are being used for the OBW.

3. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

most all vehicles have an internally regulated alt, the only reason it would be external is for very high amperage usually 200 and above, in my old t-bird i was in stero competitions an i had a custom made 260amp alternator with an external regulator adjustible from 12-24 volts.. to your other question yes it's possible to take the regulator out of your alternator but who knows how high the volts will get, you'll probably wreck the alternator or damage what your trying to put power to.. i wouldn't suggest it,, if you need a custom alternator inter or externally regulated i know a guy that can hook you up, he owns his own shop in TN.. he speciallizes in mostly alternators for car stereo but he's done it all when it comes to charging systems.. pm me if interested.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif