Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

extra cross member

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1990K5, Jun 19, 2001.

1. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

i recently did a full conver't conv. on my 1990, in additin to a full cage w/the feet tied togather i want to make the frame stronger. i was going to box in the frame under the cab but that would cause stress points at each end and it would be a biatch to do. so i decided to to add another cross member behind the x-fer case and box the frame where that attaches (maybe a cross member off a 2wd? just have to see what fits) and i was going to box the frame at the x-fer case cross member mount. p.s. if you have dropped your case and just have the 1in barrels between your frame and you cross member get rid of them asafp! those barrels give no support and the motor,tranny and x-fer case all depend on that mount to be soild, put a solid block of steel between in stead. any way has anybody added an extra csorr member?

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

do you have one or 2 cross members? my buddys 74 burbon has one and my 74 blazer has 2 factory. try to find one from a 74 era and see if it fits... i dont know much about the newer blazers....

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. lots of plans for it....
    but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in so cali if ya got any parts for me.

3. moneypit

moneypit 1/2 ton status

I have 2. One for each t-case.

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Go hit the ORD Forum. Stephen has tied his cage into the frame to make it rigid. he could probably give you some good pointers on what to do.
    My 75 has a full cage and I just beefed up the mounts (you wouldn't be able to do what I did). I changed out my rusted tail pan and replaced it with a peice of 2 x7 inch c channel and the rear legs sit on it. my front legs are tied into the beefed up cab mount just outside the factory cab mount and the middle legs has a brace under the floor.
    On you truck if you middle leggs are right up against the area wher the floor rises to the bed you could take a peice of 2 or 4 inch high box and go from leg to leg. What this will do is if the truck dose of over it will have to shove that through the floor and the frame..not going to happen. If your handy at fabricating you could build a simular bar out of 2x2 .120 wall box and put it under the bed and tie the rear legs into it. That would keep it from being in the way when loading. Again you would have to push that bar through the frame if you turtle.
    Not as good as to the frame but the next best thing.
    Doing this really tightend up the body on my 75. My 75 came with double crossmembers so I haven't bothered with much more.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    Grim-Reaper