Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Extra Fluid?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Confedneck, Jun 2, 2003.

1. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

Heya all... i was thinkin today about all you guys with your auto trannies and deep pans... what about my sm465? i was thinkin how the heck can i add fluid capacity to it?

2. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    I've never heard of anybody on here doing anything like that. Seems to me that the 465 is bombproof to begin with, and being a manual dosen't have to worry as much about heat...

3. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

If You had to add more oil, it would require drilling/tapping, a new fill/check plug hole, and leave the lower one in the case. I don't know how far You could go without it Spewing gear oil, out the breather though. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

No need to go to all that work, you could just take out the shifter and pour oil in there.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    If You had to add more oil, it would require drilling/tapping, a new fill/check plug hole, and leave the lower one in the case.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh come on, you could just park your rig at an extreme angle and fill it up again! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

You can compare that to dumping 7 quarts of oil in an engine designed for 5 quarts,(bad) or just going out and buying a 7 quart pan.

You don't need to increase the 465 fluid capacity, nor do you need to do that on the axles or transfer cases.

Extra capacity is a bandaid for inferior transmissions. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

lol thx y'all

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

so 4 quarts in a 465 or what ??

that all ?

damn thats horrible

should be changed at 30k or better then, if not more often then, 4 quazrts wouldnt take long to get dirty, bits in it, etc,

of course no one changes it over teh years though

but im about to,,

8. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

if not using pto ports make some boxes to bolt to the side and it will hold more oil.

9. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I really don't see any need for more oil capacity in a 465, but the easiest way to do it is to pour it in through the shifter or to pump it in with the passenger side of your rig in a ditch or something. At one point I had a leak between the tranny and apapter, so I used to overfill it a little so I didn't have to add as often. Now that it's fixed, I just do the sidehill trick for a little extra to help out during those off camber times.

10. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I know they make a filter kit for the NV4500. Seems to catch a lot of stuff too.

http://www.quad4x4.com/NV4500 QuadKits.htm

No idea if they make one for the SM465. Its pretty afforadable, I should get one when I do my tranny service.

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

probably doesn't need more...

I doubt if the SM465 needs any more than the gallon of gear oil it holds in stock form--not many of them die due to lack of fluid capacity,most of the few that do have problems are due to leaks,letting the fliud run nearly empty before its noticed,or trying to shift into the non-synchronized "granny" low gear while moving,and grinding bits of the hard gear teeth off,and it forms a nice grinding compound and goes thru all the bearings and gears,and synchro's.. :frown1:

I'd say if your concerned about wear,to use a good synthetic gear lube,and put a magnetic drain plug in it(if none is there already factory!)--and run it--they used that tranny in C-60 series and school busses for many years and had very few failures--they are overkill for a K5 sized truck or a pickup,one ton or under..pretty hard to kill one. :crazy:

12. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Just run good fluid. After I flush mine a bunch of times I'm going to run some synthetic stuff... probably Royal Purple's synchromesh equivalent.

Overfilling will probably just cause the gear oil to foam at high speeds and cause more parasitic losses.

13. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I agree, overfilling would be more bad than good. Use a synthetic gear lube like Redline or Torco. I know nothing of the Royal Purple, so I can't recommend it. CyberSniper, I take it you've used it ? How about some 411?

14. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I like it, but it's pricey. I used to use it in a T5. My friends that have T56s in their F-bodies use it and swear it makes it shift smoother. I used it to get rid of heat and noise.

I also used to use their motor oil in a sandrail... it held up to heat better than anything else I could find. Got about 50 minutes out of it before it was junk... instead of 7-10 minutes out of dinosaur oil.

Some people swear by GM's synchromesh though (as opposed to RP's synchromax)... it's gone down in price... about $9/quart which is a lot more reasonable than when it was $17/quart.

I'm not sure about their gear oil. I know it doesn't stink like regular gear oil does. But, I plan on running it someday. The stuff I plan on running is the "Max-Gear" stuff.

I guess that's enough rambling.