Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Extra fuel tanks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Z3PR, Nov 2, 2002.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm toying with the idea of addind a pair a saddel tanks. I did that on the 72 K5. Kinda nice having 3 gas tanks. Anyone one done that ??? It's great for getting way out on the trails, can go wheeling alot longer befor ya have to go back to town for more fuel. Also good on long road trips.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

With a larger main tank and the 2 saddle tanks, I think you can get close to 80 callons of fuel on board. Hmmm, images of the Hindenburg come to mind... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Since you're planning to go EFI at some point, keep in mind that you'll need a selector valve that also controls the fuel return lines. When you're taking gas out of tank 1, you also need to be returning the extra fuel back to tank 1, etc. If you plan to use in-tank fuel pumps, you'll need one for each tank. An external pump, after the selector valve might work, but the engine may stumble a bit when switching tanks, due to some air in the line as the valve opens the line to the next tank being selected.

3. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

JC Whitney has a 43 Gallon replacement fuel tank for the 73-8?or9? Blazer's I plan on replacing mine with that one! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Bill

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I put a 45 gallon replacement tank in my '72 K5 many years ago. The first time I filled it up I thought I was gonna have to take out a bank loan. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif But it sure went a long way between fillups! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif My wifes '94 Sub has a 42 gallon factory tank. We drove it from here to Lubbock, Texas last spring before it needed to be filled again. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif