Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Extra Ground Clearance for NP205?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Greg72, Apr 25, 2001.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

OK, I'll admit I don't know much about this but I'll bet someone on this list does.

I was out in the garage admiring my K5 (I do that a lot!) and starting wondering if there was a way to raise the mounting points of the engine, transmission and transfer case. The truck has a 2" body lift, so the entire drivetrain is sitting 2" lower than it used to relative to the body. I was thinking that it would be cool to re-claim that extra 2" as additional ground clearance.

In theory it seems possible to do. All of the drivetrain parts get lifted 2" (puts them back into the same relative position to the body as they were before the body lift). The transfer case would no longer be hanging down below the frame rails the way it currently does....and I may even get some additional clearance for headers on my big block. (though I'm sure that I'll be screwed on firewall clearance near the distributor)

Has anyone done this, or seen it done? It seems that it might be a fairly labor-intensive project...and it will raise the center-of-gravity a bit more too. But if someone has already gone through all of the problems and found ways to resolve them, it would be great to get that info.

-Greg72

2. Ryan Melton

Ryan Melton Registered Member

I am currently doing this on my 79 Dodge. It is very labor intensive and you really have to remove the engine/ tranny / T-Case to do it right. I am raising mine up 4" so nothing hangs below the frame and will have to put on a 1" Body lift so I don't have to cut a hole in the hood for the carb. I will run a Gen II doubler with the 205 clocked up slightly. I am gaining 5 1/2 inches of clearance in the middle by lifting the drivetrain 4" and using a low profile crossmember. I will run a 6" suspension lift but have the breakover of a truck with a 11 1/2" lift and the center of gravity will be raised about an inch. I am cutting the center out of my cab and will weld in a new floor pan. The main things to keep in mind are the following (If raising more than an amount equal to your body lift): Clearance from the tranny / T-Case to the floorpan / cowl, clearance from the air cleaner to hood, valve cover clearance to you power break booster, and clearance with other items such as windshield wiper motor, blower motor for heater protruding throught the firewall etc. Also driveshaft angles could be an issue depending on amount of suspension lift and drivetrain lift combined. The main reason I am lifting 4" is that I plan to run crossover steering with my tierod above the springs and I don't want my engine x-member below the bottom of the rails.

The good news is that you drive a Chevy and that they make everything imaginable for them. You might want to look into getting a Gen II Doubler from ORD. You could clock the 203 and 205 up and fab a new crossmember to gain some clearance below the T-Cases way which is pretty simple.

Doing the mods like I am is slightly involved to say the least.

Ryan

3. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't do it because it raises your center of gravity and increases your driveline angles. In the end do what you want and let us know how things turn out. Good luck.

4. ccj8008

ccj8008 1/2 ton status

You can trim your crossmember and mount it above the lower frame rail (instead of below it). You can shim it up a little if you like. This will not raise the engine, it just pivots a little on the mounts. It will increase driveshaft angularity but that is offset for your critical shaft (the front) by an improved angle from the case (now pointing down slightly).

5. 4xmac

4xmac Registered Member

Ryan, with 4" extra ground clearence and a 6" lift, those driveline angles even with a c/v joint seem pretty excessive to me. Good luck on your project, let us now how it turns out.

MAC

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Seems a little "excessive" for anybody to be doing this kind of work! Gotta keep something in mind: for as long as GM has made the blazers, trucks, etc., they must have done something right. Their engineering dept. did all the guess work for you guys. In other words, why mess with a good thing? If it aint broke, dont fix it. All this work to sacrifice a perfectly good vehicle? Do you honestly think that once you complete this task, that the vehicle will be any more safe as it was stock? I am questioning the higher center of gravity you guys are placing on it. All the geometrys will be thrown off. What happens when you decide to sell the vehicle? How do you explain to the customer what you did and why? Doubt you will ever find anyone who wants to buy it. Whether you sell it or not, consider one thing: your safety. And others.
    All this is just my opinion, and mine only. I am simply saying "be careful". If you plan to go ahead and do this procedure, good luck.

7. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

There is a guy over on the pirate board that is selling an indexing plate that rotates the 205 approximitly 30 degrees,so the case is horizontal.This is alot easier than what you guys are doing!! I think he is asking $150 for them.Brady

'73Beautiful Disaster <A target="_blank" HREF=http://beautifuldisaster.coloradok5.com>http://beautifuldisaster.coloradok5.com</A>

8. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

There is a guy on the Pirate 4x4 forums that has built and is selling an indexing plate for the np 205 so that you can clock it up and it has way less overhang.

Depdog

<font color=blue>Weenie K5, little mods' Small Tires!</font color=blue>

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com>http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com</A>

9. ccj8008

ccj8008 1/2 ton status

I have a 2" body lift. I checked, and I think 20 degrees is about as much as you'd want to clock your 205. This gives a little over 3" rise at the front output.