Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

extra layer in vinyl floor

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K05Aggie, Nov 8, 2002.

1. K05Aggie

K05Aggie 1/2 ton status

My vinyl floor seems to have too many layers. There is plastic-backed padding, then a layer that is about 1/8" thick. It appears to be tar with plastic laminated on both sides (it acts kind of like a roofing shingle). Then the vinyl floor that you see/walk on. The whole combination holds water really well. It's been raining for a couple of weeks here in College Station, and most of the padding is wet. My roommate's Furd has vinyl and padding only. I'm thinking about taking out the middle layer since I can't see any reason for it. What do yall think? Should I replace the padding?

2. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

Re: vinyl floor

If you have that much water running in better tear the whole thing out and Herculine the floor before it rusts away. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

Re: vinyl floor

amen to that!!

4. K05Aggie

K05Aggie 1/2 ton status

I might as well Hurculine since I'll be pulling eveything out. Is it on sale anywhere? Where can I get a pad?

5. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I have seen it for sale in both Pep Boys and Autozone, they sell it with an application kit.

6. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I'd get it out before the floor rots out. On my K10 my floor rotted out from the inside out. It was funny because you could tell there was no floor in spots but the undercoating kept you from seeing the pad.

I painted my floor with Plasti-Kote spray-in bedliner stuff. I like it 10x better than the Dupli-color [censored]. It's more like sandpaper than bedliner or paint. A paper towel will not survive being wiped across it.

For padding I'd use some underhood mat. The kind with aluminum on both sides. I bought some and never put it in because I figured it'd just get wet. One of the problems with not having any flooring is that it sounds like you're going down the road in a 55 gallon drum.