Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

extra radio equipment

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by fendereff, Apr 13, 2007.

1. fendereff

fendereff 1/2 ton status

does anyone have any extra ameatur radio equipment that they want to get rid of? im looking to aquire some but dont want to pay out the ass for it...

2. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

Whaty are you looking for? Antennas? Towers? Tuners? Thats a REALLY open question...

3. fendereff

fendereff 1/2 ton status

ha yea...i am really want mobile stuff for my truck, but wouldnt mind having base stations too. but i would need antennas, tuners, pretty much what ever is absolutely required for ameatuer radio. im just starting to get into it and will be getting my license here soon.

4. BigEasy

BigEasy 1/2 ton status

Hate to say it but you really do get what you pay for when it comes to radios. Take advice from those that have spent $$$ learning that lesson the hard way. There's a Cobra 29 in the for sale forum. Pair that up with some good coax and a quality antenna (go stainless if you can). Then have a local CB shop tune up the radio & calibrate your antenna. For about $200 you'll have a good sounding radio that can reach out and talk.

5. fendereff

fendereff 1/2 ton status

i already got a good CB and good coax and 2 fire stix. also have a hand held scanner that gets the job done. yea i didnt want something crappy, but i didnt want to pay an arm and a leg for some stuff. im looking for good, but used equipment at a decent price...not looking to save pennies and lose quality. just dont need anything real fancy or real new

6. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

Best to start with a good 50 watt 2 meter radio. Thing is, a new one is only $140, so to find a used one for less then $100 that is worth buying is unusual. Holler up when you get your license and we can steer you the right way.

7. fendereff

fendereff 1/2 ton status

will do. i like doing my shopping ahead of time so that when i get my license, i can go play, so what are some good brands and models to start looking at?

8. fendereff

fendereff 1/2 ton status

9. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

However, at www.hamradio.com - HRO's website - you can get a brand new Kenwood TM-271 60 watt 2 meter rig for $169.00 with free shipping. Spend the extra $36.00 and get the new radio! THe new radios have alot more features.

Add an antenna and coax and you would be ready to operate mobile.

10. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

A good entry into mobile amatuer radio , is dirt cheap at hamradio.com . HRO has a Yeasu ft1802 for 124.95 , and a hustler 2 meter NMO antenna on a magnet base for 34.95 .

You can chuck the magnet base and buy a hole mount for dirt cheap if you want . But the antenna itself rocks . I can work from one side of the valley I live in to the other using local repeaters .

11. fendereff

fendereff 1/2 ton status

cool cool. i will check that out. whats the farthest yo have gotten your 2-meter?

12. pauly383

Simplex (radio to radio ) is dependent on conditions . I have talked to maxPF on here ( ad7jn ) from over 15 miles at times .

Repeater use is better , I can hit the repeaters in Tucson from Phoenix . Which is over a 100 miles one way . Extending coverage .

There are other bands available to us , but you need more money , and a higher license class .

13. fendereff

fendereff 1/2 ton status

i see. thats cool. im lookin at that radio/antenna setup and i think i will end up getting that. ill be taking the exam in like a month or so...so i should be good to go very soon. i really want to order it now, but i wont be able to do anything with it until then...can these units be set up as base staions or do you actually need to buy one designed to be a base station?

14. pauly383

Almost everything in amatuer radio is set up for 12 volts ( actually 13.8 volts ) . You need either a car battery ( and a way to keep it charged ) or a power supply that supplies the needed amps . For base use .

A decent 12 volt supply for a 2 meter radio wil set you back 79.99 for an Astron 12 amp model ( 10 amps continuous ) . Or you can go used , or find a power supply from something else that may work .

You need high amperage , they don't just work from cigarette lighter sockets or fuse blocks like CB's . Amatuer radios draw real power on the high settings .

15. BigEasy

BigEasy 1/2 ton status

Eh, when I first read the post I was thinking you meant CB stuff, not 2-way stuff. Nevermind me, carry on. :doah:

16. fendereff

fendereff 1/2 ton status

17. pauly383

CB is two way stuff . Just unregulated , and with many "modified" radios making "dirty" power and people using too many cuss words .

Two way means transmit AND recieve silly :wink1:

18. fendereff

fendereff 1/2 ton status

lol...man the more i look at this, the more i want it...now

19. gnihcraes

gnihcraes Registered Member

Your First Radio should be new, if you have the $$. I bought a used radio from a reputable person what I worked with, and it didn't last too long - out my $100.

The new stuff is much much better today. As for brands, choose what you like. I try to buy the same brand so all the radios function nearly the same and can be programmed with software using a laptop - much easier to load all the frequencies. (especially when your talking about 100's of memories in the radio)

Kelly KB0UQT