Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Extracting screw extractor!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by talldogg, Dec 1, 2000.

1. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

I've got an exhuast manifold bolt who's head broke off in the head. I drilled a pilot hole in it and I dried to remove the bolt with a screw extractor, and sure enough the tip off the thing broke inside the pilot hole. I've tried drilling it out and it only seems to be eating up drill bits. Am I outta luck, or is there an easy way to get it out. Thanks!!!

It's not what you buy, it's what you build!

2. EODBRIAN

EODBRIAN Registered Member

your in for some fun. smack whats left of the bolt/extractor with a punch and a bf hammer to loosen any rust holding the threads and to give yourself a dimple so your bit doesn't wander. find yourself a titanium nitride drill bit (we have em at work and pretty sure they're available at the hardware store.) it takes a while, but you'll get through it. add oil while drilling. might wanna try applying some heat to the whats left of the bolt on the next extraction attemp. take care. brian.

EODBRIAN

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

eodbrian is right get a titanium drill bit and just keep trying also like he said keep some oil on it so it dont heat up to much (heat=a dull bit.) i have done this before so it can be done just keep at it. good luck

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud

4. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I did the same thing awhile ago . I took the manifold off and hauled it to a machine shop . They used a die grinder that fit in the hole and ground it out . didn't even have to rethread it .

5. 78Blazer

78Blazer 1/2 ton status

Hey 6.2 I think he meant its broke in the head itself [​IMG] It'll really suck if you have to take the head of to have it tapped out to. [​IMG]

Scott
    78blazer

6. chevidog

chevidog Registered Member

Man it sucks when that happens. Same thing happened to me when I installed my 383. I was about ready to pull the head before I talked to an exhaust shop. They took the bolt out for less than 20 bucks, but I already had the exhaust manifold off and no accesories installed. It could be more if they have to make room to work. They just mig welded a washer to the broken bolt, welded a new bolt to the washer and turned it out. I had also broke an extracter inside, and the bolt did break off below the surface, but it still worked. Just wanted to share before you do something drastic-I was jumping up and down when I found out I didn't have to pull the head. hope this helps.

7. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the replies guys. Yes, the bolt is in the head, but I'm not about to pull the head. As stuborn as I am, I really doubt the bolt will get the best of me. I'll continue to try to drill it out, I'll take the advice and make sure it's lubed with oil to keep it cool. Eventually that little pecker will be outta there![​IMG]

It's not what you buy, it's what you build!

8. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

the extactor is harden steel so you will need a bit that is harder than that the TI bit are no good it is jsut a coating that will brak down if I were you I would go get a carbide drill bit then a nougher easy out

[​IMG]Go prepared

http://www.trailblazer90.coloradok5.com

9. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

If there is any thread left on it you could screw a bolt on it and tack weld it on. Let it coo land try turning it out....

Gokartergo

10. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

First recenter a hole for the drill with a center punch...then buy a cobalt bit...and drill slow! If that doesnt work i allways fire up the blue wrench (torch)...and gently heat it up and give it a couple shots of full air ....if you are carefull the trusty blue wrench will melt your problem child to the point of removing tiny pieces of whats left and then all you have to do is run a tap through it to chase the threads.

Azblazer

1979 K5
    1976 K5 Chalet
    1972 K10 Suburban