Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

extreme 4x4 dodge lift.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88-3/4t-bad boy, Sep 24, 2006.

1. 88-3/4t-bad boy

88-3/4t-bad boy 1/2 ton status

ok so awhile back i was watching extreme 4x4. on there they had project suburban gorilla. with the hummer body on the 87 suburban frame. for the front lift they had a coil spring setup off of a dodge. i was just curious since leaf springs are stiffer the taller you go. could this be an alternative to the leaf springs, but with better flex? i wasnt planning on doing it but the jeeps all convert to coils and maybe some burbs could to?

2. 88-3/4t-bad boy

3. 88-3/4t-bad boy

4. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

If I remember right they were just using the coil spring buckets. But they ended up ditching those because of how the piping for the turbos was routed.

5. NoReGrEtS

NoReGrEtS 1/2 ton status

They fabed up there own upper spring perch then had to switch to the dodge upper spring perch to get the turbos piping to fit.
    but I don't have any info if they work better or not.

6. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

It depends on what you want to do. For a show truck with lots of lift, airbags are pretty much the hot ticket. Leaf springs can do the job effectively and relatively cheaply as well.

For a crawler, neither coils or leaves are the best. Flex has nothing to do with it, pretty much any of the suspension options can flex way more than you really need. Effectively transferring the power to the ground is the reason to stray away from leaves.