Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Extreme 4x4 - OOPS!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by the beast, Oct 8, 2006.

1. the beast

the beast 1/2 ton status

Well I dunno about you guys, but after watching Extreme 4x4 this morning I'll think twice about taking any of their advise.

Incase you missed it, on Project Ranger Resurrection (1st problem was using a droF. :rolleyes: ) during the very 1st run, they ripped one of the rear upper links off the frame. So they brought it back to the shop, relocated the links in a area that'll have less stress, and went back at it. On the 2nd run they sheered a large heim joint, causing the axle to want to wrap, which in turn broke one of the coil over shocks, which did cause the axle to rotate upward, snapping the front drive shaft and punching a hole in the oil pan. It was a major F-in mess. They said they'll fix it and get it back out there......maybe next season. :eek1:

:doah:

2. mostwanted

mostwanted 1/2 ton status

That sucks for them. I'll keep watching so I can learn from their mistakes as well as my own.

3. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

Now im no expert on building trucks, but that was suppose to be a do it all truck, but too me it couldnt do anything. It was cool concept, but it was too high and seemed way too stiff. Dunno, I wasnt impressed with it. Id like to see the Hummer body on the suburban one finished and all that. I really like that one.

Speaking of which, has anyone put one of those H1 body kits on a Blazer? Ive only seen the ads in mags. Never seen one that someone has done on any 4x4 forums.

4. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

in a later episode they found out one of THERE shock mounts failed and thats what caused it.:haha:

5. Slapperbar

Slapperbar Retired Navy NDT Examiner Premium Member

the next show in that series they find the real problem and put it back on the trail. It was one of their mounts.

6. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

This is old news really .

I think its cool that they show there mess ups and admit they ****ed up more real world than those other "we bolted on this xxx from the yyy company and made 10000 horsepower and inreased our Rti score to 8 million and had no problems doing it" :doah:

7. k2mslskier

k2mslskier 1/2 ton status

Yeah, if I recall correctly somehow a Grade 5 bolt got in the place of a Grade 8 bolt. Atleast that's what they blamed it on.

8. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

the problem is that they're building trucks, breaking them, then fixing them? so the problem is CK5? cause we do the same thing.

i think it's cool that they show when stuff doesn't work out. i want to have a show like that one day.

9. K5-newf

K5-newf 1/2 ton status

i seen that and it didnt take much to brake in my opinion . ...........welll they may of f**ked up but its better they break them , explain y , and fix it so they can show wat can happen so ppl llike me dont know alot about this stuff can relize that they need to be carefull wen building a rig so they dont cause a **** load of damage to there own rig. Thus a valuble lessson for noobs lol

10. Brians89K5

Brians89K5 1/2 ton status

I was quite impressed with that danger ranger. Once they got the bugs worked out of it Im sure that thing is a blast to drive. Not only that but Im sure its pretty capable as well. I donno about the handle throttle though. If I had anough money and time I would do something similar to my blazer, but I don't have enough of each. I guess its always easier to point the finger and say, " I could have done that better," Then actually going out and doing it better. Im still down with their cause. :D

~Brian

11. muddermilitia

muddermilitia ThatTrazerGuy GMOTM Winner

I don't think anyone makes the h1replica for a blazer frame. I think its only for suburban and longbed frames. On a side note, i was talking with the owner of a 4-wheeldrive shop that I work next to about those new 54"boggers and he said he has a set on order for a customer who just bought one of those replica hummer trucks. The fourwheel drive shop is going to install one-ton axles, th400 trans, 205 tcase, enough lift to fit those boggers, and a blower!!

12. beastofablaze

beastofablaze 1/2 ton status

Thats because they don't know how to weld... first mistake was running a downhill bead... second mistake was never learning how to weld... I've seen some of their stuff and I'm far from impressed.

But they do have some good build advice... but if you have your own 4x4 show you should know what joints, mounts, e tc can handle what. I'd like to see some more wheeling instead of building. Superlift offroad adventures on the outdoor channel is more to my taste. They do actual trucks wheeling not nissans and yotas and they show alot more competitions and wheeling.

13. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Must be Matt at Attitude Performance. I saw quite a few huge Ford SD's roll out of there when I was stationed in Great Lakes.

14. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

they also don't do anything lightly. I geuss that why its called extreme.
    Maybe its me but after I modify something the first thing I do is take it easy to see what effect the mod had. they fire the engine for the first time on a completely new truck then blast it down a fire road at mach 1. j:doah:

they had no way of telling what the suspension, tires, brakes, anything would do.

15. muddermilitia

muddermilitia ThatTrazerGuy GMOTM Winner

Oh, you've met him before. My brother and I are friends with him since we work at the body shop nextdoor. My brother does all the alignments for matt. He's got an h1 in there on 52" michelins and they are building a late 90s dodge mini-monstertruck. so far it has a tube frame, 2-1/2 tons, 4wheel steer, bling King coilovers, and another shop is building a Keith Black aluminum big-block hemi that going to put out over 1000hp. The top of the bed is just over my head, and im 6'2" and the truck has no tires, the axles are alomst touching the ground!!

16. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Definitely! Those other shows are all junk, pure crap for Joe Blow Spendalot.

17. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

At least their welds actually held the metal together, for a little while at least. Helen Keller could weld better than me.

I like to see the their ideas and destruction. They actually say what and why things went bad in the later shows.

18. blazeonchevy

blazeonchevy 1/2 ton status

....54's and one tons..? and a blower:doah: sounds AWESOME:whistle: :eek1:

19. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

it was the first time out on a completly new ride

this is a mulitly treain mud, rock, sandand trail truck so some stuff is not tested yet

just give it time it will get fixed

20. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

yeah, i'm sure the 1 tons will stand up to that. :eek1: :doah:

on the other hand... who here is gonna get the 1st pics of someone running 54s on a 10 bolt???:haha: :haha: :haha: