Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Extreme Blazer, I bought Morton Bedliner and have questions.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 76chevy, May 4, 2001.

1. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

Extreme,

I bought some of the Morton bedliner and I will be preping my rig to spray it this next week. I was wondering how your liner was holding up. How does it spray vs paint? I already bought a new gun made for the Morton stuff.

I was going to do blue but the blue was darker than I wanted and I wasn't sure what color it would be if I put less clorant in it so I went with red. I'm going to have to spray the inside too and change my trim color.

I bought the High Build stuff so I can add more later if it is too thin or gets dinged up. It cost me 315.00 for two gallons and a spray gun.

If you have any tips let me know please.

I hope it turns out o.k.!!

<font color=red>Spirit of 76</font color=red>

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

be sure to post pics when you get it done

77blazer see it at<A target="_blank" HREF=http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333>http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333</A>[​IMG]

3. extremeblazer

extremeblazer 1/2 ton status

The red looks nice. It is very close in color match to Viper red that we have on a truck. We sprayed the bed with the morton red and even put black stripes in it to match the truck. The liner holds up great on the outside of the blazer and any little damage can be fixed easy. I was even thinking of doing my 75 K5 with orange and adding some pearl to the mix and doing some ghost flames on the bedliner. Just remember to get the truck really clean and prep every panel with 80-180 grit so it has something to bite into. Don't leave any thing shiny or it will peel up. It sprays like undercoating and sounds like a machine gun coming out of the tip. Remember to keep a constant distance so all the texture is the same. The closer the less texture and the farther away the more texture. It will stick to every thing it lands on including the floor, we still have trouble sweeping from three weeks ago. Also remove all taped edges before it setsup or you will never get it off. Any more questions just ask.

4. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

Hey, thanks for the tips and info.I'll have to warn each neighbor I'm not shooting a machine gun, they are both police officers.I can just see it now.

I'll take some pictures so you guys can see the results. Ghost flames? Wow, I should of thought of that. The flames might explain all of the smoke comming out of my tailpipes. Lol.

One more thing. I've never figured out how to spray a hood very well. Did you take yours off before spraying? If not, how did you keep the texture even?

5. extremeblazer

extremeblazer 1/2 ton status

The hood was left on the truck to paint with liner. If you can keep the gun at a constant distance with the hood and never angle the pattern the texture will be even. If your truck is too high to get around then you may want to take it off. Only four bolts and your life could be much easier. Also with the bed liner you don't need to worry about chipping it when reinstalling the hood. Are you going to spray the cap? If so you can take it off and use the inside of the bed to stand and spray the roof. Anything else just ask.

6. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

I'm sure you covered this before but do you have a link to Morton bedliners or know where to get some of that stuff. How do I find a Morton dealer here in Ut.?

Thanks guys, -Extreme-

Twiztid

7. Toad

Toad 1/2 ton status

For the Morton Website and info go to <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.uschem.com/products/index.html>http://www.uschem.com/products/index.html</A> and look under specialty products. They don't have a lot of info there.

If you are looking to buy it in Utah, it is sold at the Sherwan Williams store on 3rd West and 3050(?) South in Salt Lake. It is on the east side of the street. Just look in the yellow pages under automotive paints.

They usually have it in stock but I would call first. They carry the old 1 coat stuff and the newer High Build spray that is tintable. You will need at least two gallons for the whole outside of your rig.

8. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

How much is the stuff? I can't find a price for it....!! I would like to get 3 gallons. One white, gray and black. I was thinking orange but nobody makes that. Besides I think my Duke Boy Blazer is dashed.....seems like that dang flag would be too hard to paint on it! But this stuff looks good and I could just do my Camo with it...so if you got info I need it! Thanks! [​IMG]

"Suck Fumes Ford Boy"
    "I love my country, I fear my government"
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html</A>

9. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

I paid 270 for 2 gallons. It is sold by the quart so I think it is about $32 per quart. It comes as a three part system you mix together in one of the quart cans.

I'm almost ready to spray. I have stripped and ground everything down. I need to degrease, tape, prime and spray. I should be done by this weekend. I might need another gallon though since I have a truck.

If you want orange you could buy the red colored tint and mix it with white or yellow. It is only a couple of bucks for the tint. I included it in the price listed above.