Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Extreme body modification??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stallion85, Dec 11, 2005.

1. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I want to remove the front fenders totally and cut the rear of the bed from about half back from the wheel wells and back. Now for the front, I want to narrow the hood and the front end also. Basically like Matt Fennemores rig. What kind of body re enforcement will I have to do to make these changes? This is a trail rig only and is flat towed to the trails.

Thanks for any help,

2. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

[hijack]

Weren't you going to turn this back into a full bodied family rig?

[\hijack]

For the front you'd have to support the core support but aside from reinforcing the frame I think that'd be it. I don't quite picture what you wanna do in the rear, just come straight down behind the wheel wells like a guillotine?

3. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

My buds talked me out of wheeling a straight K5!! I guess they still wanted me to do crazy **** to entertain them:haha:

I am going to re do my roll cage and put some bucket seats in the rear for the kids and call it good. Although, I would like to DD a K5 again. My 05' Dodge 2500 CTD is just too nice to let the wife drive back and forth to DT Las Vegas every day for work:doah:

This is what I want to do with the rear....this is az-K5's rig.

[​IMG]

4. mikey_d05

Well, while I obviously haven't done the same thing to the rear, it appears that dovetailing would result in a lot of the same things that that particular chop would. My biggest piece of advice would be to attach the top back corners of the fenders to something very solid or make an x shaped brace across the plane of the chop.

Attached is a pic of what mine does when the frame is flexed out. I need to make an x-style brace across the back to secure the bedsides in place so that this doesn't happen.

FFF 027.jpg

5. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

Damn Jeff, you need to make up your mind!!!!! :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

6. mikey_d05

Don't second guess yourself. Hack it up. It's way more fun to thrash your stuff than drive nice and keep it pretty. :D

7. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Here are some more angles (and there are some more in my gallery)

[​IMG]

The black line on the inside fender wall is the relief cut I made. The fenders are cut and overlap slighltly when narrowed and welded. I could easily fit rear seats and a fuel cell, but would have to get creative with the spare.

[​IMG]

This shows how much of the frame I removed (the shackle hanger is in the stock location). As far as doing it with seats I would use a fuel cell and put a rack on top of the cell (behind the rear seats) for gear/ice chest. For a little extra room I would leave an extra 6" on the rear frame.

It was more of a "I have 8 lbs of crap and a 6 lb bag. I need to make it fit"