Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

extreme K&N filter instalation?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by AntAZBlaz, May 9, 2002.

1. AntAZBlaz

AntAZBlaz 1/2 ton status

I would like to know what needs to be done in order to install one of those extreme top air filters from K&N. I have the factory set up with a K&N filter already but it’s in the factory housing. Do they have kits for the change over, is so where did you get them and how much do they run.
    Anthony

2. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

I thought it was just a lid. You take off your old one and put the K&N Lid on.

3. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

I don't know what the smog laws are like in AZ, but in cali it seems that changing to an open element air cleaner doesn't make the smog nazi's happy. As for converting, you should be able to find the open element pan at your local auto parts store and just use the bottom piece and put the extreme flow top on.

4. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

Most use the 14inch chorme air filter setup...you can get them at any parts store and the xtreme lid should replace the lid.

5. AntAZBlaz

AntAZBlaz 1/2 ton status

There are two hoses that connect to the stock air fiter holder. the silver aluminum hose that goes to the valve cover and the rubber hose in the back, that has it's little filter. do you get all that is needed when you buy that new bottom plate so that they can hook up in a new position? I know i can not just leave them hanging but i'm not sure what they are for.
    since i have the stock setup i know it can not just be the top that i pop on because the base needs to be changed as well doesn't it?

Anthony

6. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

You can get a cheap 14" chrome filter base and lid for around $20. it comes with a filter to, but I think this is the only way to get the base. I want to try and set up 2 4" tubes that run thru the core support on either side of the radiator and make a "ram air" type set up. I tend to get water in the open filter if I drive through any sizable puddles at speed.

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

well.... if going with an open element is a legal smog issue.. this is what I'd do...

cut a hole in the top of your factory housing, if the extreme air thing is 14"... I'd prolly make the hole 13" across, maybe 12". Next, mount the extreme air on top. Next time you get inspected... remove the extreme air b4 u go. Fill the hole with some sheet metal that you have already cut to fit. If you did it right... and painted the whole thing the same rattle can color... you'd prolly fly right through inspections.

J

8. AntAZBlaz

AntAZBlaz 1/2 ton status

Hey
    Do you, or does anyone know if the extreme top is illegal for emissions in AZ? Is it just the mere fact that you have it on that is illegal or is that it causes the actual emissions numbers to go beyond what they should be?
    I like your idea about cutting the factory one I could probably get one from a junk yard and cut that one up and just keep two.
    Anthony

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

exactly... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

J