Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

extreme machines 4X4 episode on TLC

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BAD LUCK 79', Dec 5, 2001.

1. BAD LUCK 79'

BAD LUCK 79' 1/2 ton status

did any one see the TLC episode on 4X4's tonight???? I'm seriously pissed off.. not a K-5 one was on the show... mostly jeeps and land rovers.. they did have a nice little section on Humvee's and Monster trucks.. overall i thought the show was informative on the basics of offroading.. like crossing ditches at an angle, recovering from turnover, basic driving in mud and on inclines. One trick they showed that i really liked was for inflating a tire thrown from the rim... place tire and rim on the ground, spray lighter fluid round inner edge of rim... light with minni torch or makeshift torch (hairspray, lighter) the ignition of the lighter fluid, and the insuing fire ball inflate the tire while sealing it to the rim... and therefore mounting it to the rim... all you have to do after that is mount the wheel back on your truck and deflate to your prefered pressure...anyone else see this episode or got comments on this tire inflation technique??

BAD LUCK is better than no luck at all!!!!
    Is it bad that my truck is older than my wife?

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i've seen it a few times doesn't really represent a lot of 4x4s. or what most of us do with them. do we really care about the moon?

people that get good mileage aren't having any fun!
    scott,
    1989 GMC suburban 3/4t 4" lift finally rollin on 36" swampers, tbi350, th350, np241

3. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

Sucker was on twice tonight and I only caught the last 5 minutes of the 2nd show. Had to stop for beer on the way home from work and forgot to have the woman tape it. The parts I saw looked AWESOME! Knowing TLC, it oughta be on again soon...hafta go to my online TV guide and scope it. As far as the lighter fluid/gasoline/ether/starting fluid tire-beading trick....yes it does work, but ya gotta be careful. There's actually a fire burning inside the tire for a second or 2 while the thing beads up....and ya got to usually ADD air to get to running pressure. Also a good idea to deflate and get fumes out of there soon as you can.

9/11/01..Never forget...Never forgive

4. shoeless

shoeless Registered Member

I've never done the inflation trick personally, been tempted too a couple of times, but someone was telling about actually doing it while the whole thing was still on the truck.
    Now that would be pretty cool to see.

Shoeless
    '88 K5

5. 83bowtyblazer

83bowtyblazer 1/2 ton status

I've seen that tire inlflation trick a million times. That's how my Dad seats beads on tractor & semi tires on the farm. He sprays ether in the tire, lights it then whacks the tire with a slegde hammer to pop it on. It softens the rubber a bit so it pops on easier. It's pretty wild stuff. It's also dangerous as heck.

Ryan

Never knock on DEATH's door. Ring the bell and run...he hates that!!!!

6. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

i almost rolled doing that one tire at a time diagonal thing.
    maybe for a little ditch, for a huge one go almost straight in

7. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I had a friend who did the fire-bead-popping thing. He didn't grow eyebrows back for a while! LMAO

Red 1989 GMC Suburban SLE V1500 - TBI 350, 700R4 w/ shift kit, Quad-shock front, 31/10.50/15 Pro Comp MT, 4.10 gears, Duals off cat

8. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

thats how weve been popping tires back on rims for tractors for years...hell the last set of tires i bought i mounted that way instead of paying...so they werent balanced it only costed me a can of starter fluid and a torch lighter

Later

Have you driven OVER a Ford lately?

9. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

At least the Team McPherson truck was a Chevy. They always win too. But your right I don't know too many people who off road at a 150 mph either. Can you imagine, airborn at that speed!!!
    Shawnboy.

<font color=red>If you are having too much fun it's probably illegal.</font color=red>

10. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

We Always mount tires that way for cheepness, and then balance ourselves. The trick is to get the starting fluid on the RIM not the tire. I think you guys are nuts for using lighters, i stay the hell back and throw a match. Ive actually gotten quite good at this lately.

-matt
    <font color=blue>86, 350, 35"TSL's</font color=blue><font color=red>Lop Sop Doi Off-Road</font color=red>
    www.chevyhedk5.tripod.com

11. 88jimmyoungowner

88jimmyoungowner 1/2 ton status

i saw the whole show, and it was very interesting, execpt for the moon and mars part. THe tire thing....very dangerous. You can kill yourself doing that stuff, but if need be, then a field fix is a field fix.

16, 88 jimmy, give me advise if i ask for it, please!!!!!!!!!!!

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I liked the iclandic hillclimb guys...and the 4x4's crossing on top of the water was cool too. Just goes to show the value of wheel speed and a light vehicle![​IMG]

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

13. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I've seen it done on the truck. We had a rig throw a 44" TSL while on a waterfall and there was no way to change the tire cause of the angle. We managed to get the axle up high enough with a bottle jack to get the outer bead back on the rim. We tried a ratchet strap and compressed air but it just didn't want to seat, so out came the starter fluid. Someone in my club has it on video I think. It was pretty cool but we made sure to keep everyone at a safe distance, it's definitely a last resort kind of thing since it's so dangerous.

Joe
    RIT Mini-Baja www.rit.edu/~bajawww
    Team Mudnuts www.mudnuts.org

14. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

Anyone notice the Jeep guy they interviewed? Jason Bunch... wasn't he the "expert" in the Junkyard Wars Rock Crawling special? They also used the same Hummer footage on both shows.
    Anyway, I thought the show was pretty cool. Those arctic FJ80 Land Cruisers were BadAss! I gotta give it up for Toyota for producing a truck in the 90's that has solid axles and comes with electric lockers front and rear. Now I just gotta wait for my Mom to hand me down her 94 FJ80[​IMG]

Rod
    Alameda, CA
    85 K5 6"ProComp 35"Boggers 14Bolt/ Dana44 4.10's
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/K5Jungle>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/K5Jungle</a>

15. Nitrodrip350

Nitrodrip350 1/2 ton status

Yea I give it to Toyota for making the stock 4x4's for yuppies, that will never go off road. I will however give it to the people that will actually take a 40,000 4x4 LandBruiser and put another 40,000 in it to do what they can do!! I don't know if I would have the guts to drive over a cravas that is over a mile deep either!!!!!

79' K5 Body Hurting But Runs Great!!

16. greg83k5

greg83k5 1/2 ton status

two things here-

1 you're probably only gonna see about 25 psi of pressure ( and that's very generous ) out of the starter fluid trick- a walk in the park for a tire. it isin't dangerous, 'cept maybe for singing hair and pinching fingers if you're stupid enough to put them where you shouldn't....

2. check out www.frankentaco.com's 'central texas wheeling' sections, there's a guy on there with a 99 landcruiser that is the BOMB! D60's, lockers, snorkel, oh, and did i mention a chevy 350?? plus a sweet ARB fridge/freezer...cool///

greg ( go check out that site anyway, there's tons of great 4x4 pictures, even a K5 representin' )

17. bigk

bigk 1/2 ton status

That episode's been on a few times, so they'll probably show it some more. I think Cole Quinnell from 4WOR was interviewed on the show. Overall, it was pretty good. ANY positive press on four wheeling is great to see, instead of the usual environmental extremist BS.

Karl
    Temporarily Unemployed Underwear Model
    87 3/4 ton

18. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

if im not mistaken the K5 you see on frankentaco's site is our very own CK5 member "rocko".

Justin

19. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

BTW...its on at 2 PM Saturday this weekend. (Ohio time)

9/11/01..Never forget...Never forgive