Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Extreme Oddity....Pg49 Petersen's 4Wheel n Offroad, December issue ... whoa

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 4GUNZ4X4Z, Oct 31, 2003.

1. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Extreme Oddity....Pg49 Petersen\'s 4Wheel n Offroad, December issue ... whoa

Page 49 December issue of Petersens, is that thing sick or what? With one wheel 7' in the air and leave the other 3 on the ground. Hell he might be able to sell that design to NASA. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Re: Extreme Oddity....Pg49 Petersen\'s 4Wheel n Offroad, December issue ... whoa

Sure if NASA is into using internal combustion engines in space.

Actually that thing is pretty wild for a rockcrawler err is it a rock climber?

Whatever it is, when I win the lottery I want one too. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Re: Extreme Oddity....Pg49 Petersen\'s 4Wheel n Offroad, December issue ... whoa

there are a ton more pictures on pirate. just run a search for "chainlink". it is from this past spring, so you may have to dig a bit. ill try to get the link.

prorock pics

4. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

got a few in my sig too. crazy rig. too heavy, broke alot.

5. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

i think once the bugs get worked out it will work great. the prorock event was the trial run, except for him driving on the street 1 week earlier. every rig breaks parts initially, i bet by now it is a work of art on the rocks.

6. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Re: Extreme Oddity....Pg49 Petersen\'s 4Wheel n Offroad, December issue ...

no one has mentioned the advantage he has changing tires, no jack needed /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, i totally dig that thing. I doubt it will ever do much in rock comps, cause they are basically rock races these days... and its just a guess, but the thing doesnt look that fast. Im sure it can "get it" but i dunno how fast it can lift its arms, extend wheelbase etc. If its all hydro, it could take some time.

at any rate, that said, that thing fawkin ROCKS!!! so much time, effort, $, engineering etc going into that thing. Any turd can bolt on some aftermarket junk and wheel.. what that guy is doing is truly unique... so he gets a big /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

j

8. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

I completely agree with jek. PPL on the pirate board were talking [darn] about it but man I wish It was mine. I give the guy a big /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. jekbrown

yeah, the por guys are much better at being cynical chit-talkers than they are at anything else. There is pretty much a consensus on what a rock machine should be over there these days, and anything not in line with that "sucks" or whatever. pretty idiotic way to look at the world if u ask me. At any rate, the guy has had some bugs... but its one hell of a rig.. and if he ever gets the whole thing dialed in look out! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

j

10. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Are the wheels Chain driven?It is hard enough not to break axles I cannot imagine Chains

11. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

well with all the money hes spent on that thing Im pretty sure hes got some really heavy duty chains in there. Plus hes probably got it set up to be able to swap them out pretty quick.

nick

12. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

It would be cool if he could come up with a hydrulic type of drive for the wheels

13. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

When the pics 1st went up the guys on POR were impressed and wanted to see more. They said it didn't work in comps, because it didn't. Shocking /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif If you don't think they were impressed look at how many pics of it were posted. POR is a hard-core rockcrawling page, it even says so right on the page. Post on here about how great Broncos are and see how kind and gentle this place is. Even though they are the same concept. Hell people on here whine about putting a high pinion D60 under a K5, because its "Ford parts", yep that low pinion GM 10B must be better.

14. jekbrown

por is a rock crawling page... that doesnt necessarily mean its a rock crawling competition page. There was a time not that long ago when the sport of rock crawling was actually all about going super slow (it IS called crawling!!) and getting over tough obstacles. The way the comps are set up these days, its basically rock racing... which isnt even really the same "sport" imo. At any rate, the machine is clearly built for rocks so I think the por guys are just being idiots... again. it doesnt own the comps... well, so what... 99.9% of the people on POR dont have a rig that owns the comps...

j

15. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

What are you talking about that thing got like 90% /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif The guy entered it in a comp and it didn't work, what more do you want!?!?!?!?

16. jekbrown

for people to say "[darn] comps, that thing rules and if he ever gets it 100% dialed in, its gonna be schweet!".

j

17. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

it could be said its new technology and its rare that brand new stuff comes out and works perfectly first time without testing. i'm sure he tested but what better way to test than to compete?