Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Extremely hot floor ???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by furdaddy, Mar 31, 2004.

1. furdaddy

furdaddy Registered Member

The floor in the back of my '74 K5 gets extremely hot, especially right around the step-up from the front floor level to the rear floor level. Granted, I live in Phoenix, but it's uncomfortable to even keep your hand on it and the poor dog is miserable back there. Is this normal or is it a sympton of something being wrong? Is there any way to fix it?

2. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Re: Very hot floor

Sounds like you have the exhaust too close to the floor some where /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Look around and check to see if there is a problem under the rig as far as your exhaust system is concerned.
    Bill

3. furdaddy

furdaddy Registered Member

Re: Very hot floor

Hmmm, that could be. The original owner did have auxiliary gas tanks added. Maybe they had to move the exhaust to accomodate them.

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Yeah, your exhaust is too close to the floor. You can build a heat shield for the section of pipe or you can relocate, whichever is easier. One of my cats doesn't have a heat shield on it, so I can't have anything on the floor above that I don't want to catch fire. I can feel the heat with my hand about 18 inches above the floor... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

5. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Could be a bad/clogged cat.

6. Tweetysuarus

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    74 didn't have cat's! /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif
    Bill

7. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    74 didn't have cat's! /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif
    Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

and definatly not in the rough location of the muffler/s

8. atlantak-5er

atlantak-5er 1/2 ton status

Make sure its not around the transmission hup! On my old '87 k5, it got so hot it melted the capet, caught on fire and burned the truck to the ground! I was just crusing down the higway and didnt notice until it started to smell! Too late! The tranny fluid was leaking out into the skid plate which acted like a cauldron, just boinging the fluid until it caught on fire. It all happened in a matter of about 1 minute after I pulled over!

9. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Has anyone installed a heat shield to the underside of the floor? If so what material was used and how was it attached?

I will be rerouting my exahust and would like to mount them HIGH...this thread got me thinking that HIGH is not allways best???? WHat is the common distance from floor to muffler so that the floor does not get so hot???

Sorry if this is borderline High Jack...... /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

10. Tweetysuarus

You can make a heat sheild with sheet metal and line it with heat sheild lining( the shiny stuff they use in engine compartments) to reflect the heat away from the floor. Make a bracket between the frame rails to mount to.
    Bill

11. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Cool, ya I was thinking of that shinny stuff...also I was thinking of building like stand off legs to 'hang' a shield above the mufflers so air is inbetween the floor's bottom and the heat shield it self?
    Hmmmmm /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

12. biobry

biobry Registered Member

A badly clogged cat /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif will most likely make your dog miserable! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. Tweetysuarus

[ QUOTE ]
    A badly clogged cat /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif will most likely make your dog miserable! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Again <font color="red"> 74 DID NOT, I REPEAT DID NOT HAVE A CAT! </font>
    Bill

14. vegas76k5

vegas76k5 Registered Member

Was any kind of shield installed from the factory? I looked under my truck and only one side has a shield. There are holes for mounting on the other side. We had a pretty warm day earlier this week and I felt a lot more heat on the side with no heat shield.

15. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

As a kid I burned my hand on the floor of my Dad's old pick-up....It had a hole in the top of the muffler....

I have an unused heat shield that came with my Flowmaster 50 series muffler. It straps onto the muffler....

If interested, shoot me a PM or E-Mail....

16. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

i used to have the same deal....until i had the proper tranny lines ran to the radiator.the original installer DID NOT run them /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gifanyway,when i re-did the trans,and had them ran to the rad,it stopped, i dunno /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

17. Russ

Russ 1/2 ton status

I ran my exhaust as high as possible and wound up with my floors getting very hot also. My kids soles from their shoes are permanently melted to the floor, so I had to put some sheetmetal heat deflectors between the muffler and floor. I just run with metal floors for ease of cleaning, so they do get pretty hot on the feet.

Russ