Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exuast Dumps/Muffler Location

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CHEVY 4WD, Dec 9, 2002.

1. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Is there any disadvantage to exuast dumps right after the rear axle? Also is there really anyreason for doing it except for you dont have any tips and it echos a little bit? I think I might of heard that people say that when they exuast pipes dong to out side of the body it will rust you bed is this true?

Also does it matter where you put the mufflers(or glasspacks) like should you do it at the middle right after the H-pipe toards the end... does it make a difference in sound or performance or anyting else?
    BTW its for a truck not a K5

2. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Some guys with short blazers say they have problems with exhaust gas coming in through the back window when they run right behind the axle. Since you have a longer truck, that should not be a problem.
    When I had my longbed pickdup done, I had them exit right behind the rear axle on both side, like the factory does, except with duals so one on each side.
    As far as muffler mounting, you are pretty much going to mount it under the bed because that's where it will fit.
    Most important thing is to keep the exhaust tucked up as much as practical so it won't eb messed up off road.
    -- Mike

3. fulltopblazer

fulltopblazer 1/2 ton status

My mufflers(flowmasters) are right in front of the axle and my exhaust exit right behind the rear tires. If I had a pick-up I would probably have them dump right in front of the axle. my .02

4. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

I was thinking of dumps down not out the sides and i was thinking oh having them right after the H-pipe and that would be about at where the cab and bed meet if some one thinks that would be a bad spot please tell me