Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Eye candy solution to the broken D60 studs/bolts when running tapered shims

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by thatK30guy, Sep 18, 2003.

1. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Got my u-bolt plates in today from TONYP and man, what can I say that these plates are pure awesome fabbed pieces! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I saw Petes (Yunit) passenger side plate Tony made for him and sent e-mails to him to make me a pair of plates as I wanted on for both sides. I had explained to him that I had a 4 degree shim sandwiched between the leaf springs and the 1" zero-rates. The u-bolt and stud nuts were not sitting square to the plates, so Tony machined 2 plates with the 4 degree taper into them and now the nuts sit sqaure to the plates. No worries of broken studs due to stress from not sitting sqaurely.

Below are 2 pics of the 6" springs, 4 degree shim, 1" zero-rates and the factory plates all tightened down. If you were to see it up close, you would see the bottom of the nuts were not seated all the way down.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now here are 3 pics of the new plates by TONYP. These will allow the nuts to sit flat on the plates and therefore remove the stress factor which is popular with D60's and shims.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I will get the new plates on soon and take some new pics to show how the fitment of the nuts go. But until then, thanks to TONYP for his great service and products!!! I am very happy with them and can't wait to fasten them on.

As for prices, I leave that for you to work out with Tony as everybody has different requirements for their trucks. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

2. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Those look /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

those are sweet /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif what did they run you?

4. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Thats what i need, how do you contact him??????

5. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

What was the cost for both of them? They look really good.

6. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    That shim setup is the exact same that the guy up the road from me with the s-10 blazer hybrid has. He is having the same problem with the studs not sitting square with the plate. Please tell us what these ran you, or if you don't want to post it you can email it to me @ daniel.bueche@valeo.com The plates my buddy would need should be the same price as what you paid, due to the fact that he is running the exact same setup you mentioned.

7. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

So I take it you like the plates...
    I made them for my dana 60 and guys in the So Cal Big Dawg club liked them so I made a few more up...just seems that most things on the truck have to be made custom... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    One of these days I'll get the dash pod for gages going too....

8. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Sorry, guys, the price for them is totally up to Tony as every truck is different. Send him a PM or e-mail to get a quote. Give him your zip code, too. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I feel the price I paid for these plates was fair enough since they should save the time and cost of broken studs/bolts. Plus, they look cool and I'm always a sucker for parts that our famous CK5 machinists can make from steel or aluminum. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

9. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

if some one needs a set or just one you can email me.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. i_4x4

i_4x4 1/2 ton status

Re: Eye candy solution to the broken D60 studs/bolts when running tapered s

I like the groove in the plate. It allows for axle to be forward, w/o the need of drilling for the centering pin location. Ed /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif