Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

EZ locker install question.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by divorced, Jan 23, 2005.

1. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Can I put an EZ Locker in my front 4.56 geared D44 without removing the carrier? When I had the cover off a year ago it seemed like the ring gear was too thick to let it fit in but I don't know anything about how they go in.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

If the ring gear is too thick to remove the cross shaft/pinion pin , forget about it . On a standard 4.10 gearset on k5redneck's axle we had to remove the carrier and take off the ring gear before I could put in the locker .

On a front it is easy since you dont have to deal with the c -clips .

My way on a front (assuming everyone know how to get the axle shafts out):

Remove c rosshaft/pinion pin . Put the drivers in with good thrust washers and some grease on both sides so they stay put . Put the spacers in the couplers even though there are no c-clips , put a little grease on the teeth , put grease in dowel holes and insert dowels so they sit flush , and put them in the carrier . Rotate it around and push the dowels out into the opposite side , after all 4 are done do the springs one at a time . Rotate it around so the hole lines up with hole in carrier , insert crosshaft/pinion pin . Locker installed , you can put the frontend back together and drink beer :k5: :k5:

3. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Thanks. If I have to pull the carrier I might as well just buy a real locker.

4. pauly383

Sure if you have the money , but in a front if you put it back like it came out you could be trouble free , front axle sees less miles than the rear for most of us :D

5. k5redneck

k5redneck 1/2 ton status

ez lockers are soooooo much cheaper to do. it took me and pauly like 2 hours to put one in a 44 front only because we dident have all the right tools and it was to cold out for me.

6. pauly383

Seriously , we had to use a pipe and a wrench to remove the ring gear because we had no air tools . But you gotta love AZ trucks they all broke loose and the roll pin popped right out :D