Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

EZ-Locker/Lockright/Quic Loc ......Lessons

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pauly383, Jun 16, 2004.

1. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Well I learned something today ( its long , but good note ):

My locker was good for 3 months, an occasional bang, but allright. Pretty much suddenly around the week before Memorial day the trouble began. It started locking/unlocking really violently, very often. Without even going around corners, taking off from stoplights would do it. Marv looked at it with me, all seemed well. Put it back together , same thing all over again.

Pull my locker out for inspection, thrust washers seem thin. Drivers side was even burnt in a few spots, and wavy. So I order some from Ratech, they sent spider thrust washers , the small ones ...UGH ! Call DTS , they send me the right ones , cheap. Dealership wanted to sell a set of many sizes for like 40 bucks, and I paid $4.22 for mine.

Ok so its back together , with only new thrust washers.........and it WORKS !!!! Much better than it was after the first day I owned it.

So to anyone putting a lunchbox locker in, REPLACE the thrust washers. That little bit of material is enough to let the springs push out enough to keep it locked . And also like Marv told me , always use a new Pinion Shaft . /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Hmm...I've never done either of those....but the one in my DD does act up once in a while.

Maybe I'll take your advice. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. pauly383

It sounds strange, but I aint fooling, just took up enough slack so when the springs push out they aren't extended too far and loose, which I assume caused it not to stay locked /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Almost Every post I reply to on lunchbox lockers I recomend replacing the Thrust washers and pinion shaft when installing them. I dont think many take my advise and learn the hard way.
    Also you should check the clearances everytime you change the gear oil. A locker puts a lot of stress on the thrust washers and will wear them.
    PS dont buy a Detroit EZ locker =junk

5. pauly383

[ QUOTE ]
    PS dont buy a Detroit EZ locker =junk

[/ QUOTE ]

Too late, my Qenuine Gear Quic Loc is actually made by the same people who make the Detroit. Outside of needing new thrust washers , no other problems thus far. We'll see how it goes, I don't plan on changing axles anytime soon /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Most don't understand the precision tolenaces that go
    into a used high mileage diff(carrier/case). And overall
    tire diameter can cause alot of wear and tear.

7. pauly383

I believe it. Guy at DTS said same thing ( and based on what the truck I pulled my 12 bolt looked like I believe him ) . That previous owner probably never watched tires , or pressures , or even had a spare on too often, just totally worked those spiders and side gears. It works better than it did when I first installed it, so maybe I will replace them once a year or so. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif