Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ez locker

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 78k5, Jun 3, 2000.

1. 78k5

78k5 1/2 ton status

Are these lockers no good? I was thinking of getting one and I saw a couple of posts on these and didn't want to waste the money. I thought they would be good for me since they are not that expensive.

2. BillR

BillR 1/2 ton status

I had the same question. What's up with these?

Blazin' in Flagstaff

3. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Mine did fine with 31's, but almost left me stranded with 35's. I would say no, they are not worth it. Others have had better luck with the Lock Rite. The price is about the same and they go in the same way. Jim.

BigJBear '80 GMC

4. Rockblazer

Rockblazer 1/2 ton status

I ran an EZ locker in the rear of my 10 bolt and 36" Swampers (talk about askin' for trouble) and never had a problem. Ran it that way 2 years wheelin', towing and daily driver. Would I recomend it? Nope. EZ locker is the cheapest by far, even Lockrites being about $150 more, but I would save for a detroit. I know of one Willys out here running 36" tires on dana 44's and he runs nothing but hardcore trails and he has had no problems. I think it's the weight thing to be honest. But I would save for a detroit. It will upgrade the traction and the diff strength immensly. (Stronger carrier).

"You're right... I don't understand that Jeep thing!"

5. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

I have been running ez-lockers front and rear in my rig for 2 years have had no trouble.I run 33" swampers on hard core trails.The detriot is stronger but the price is out there can buy one ez for front and rear for same price as one detriot and install them yourself and be ahead.I blew out the rear a couple of monthes ago the gears were destroyed but the ez-locker was fine put it back in with no problem.Most shops charge $150-$200 to install the detriotNeed to know what you are doing and have the right tools for this.For the price the ez-locker is a good buy.Brady

6. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I would have to agree. I run the Powertrax Lock-rite. These are very good units and are similar in function to the EZ Locker. Depdog has a Lock-rite for sale real cheap. I love the fact that the dif installs in about 1 hour. Very easy to install. Good luck.

[​IMG]
    Mudzer 1978/91 Blazer