Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

EZ-Ride vs. HD Springs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mastiff, May 21, 2004.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

How do you decide whether to get the EZ-Ride or HD EZ-ride springs? The softer ride sounds nice, so what's the downside to the plain old EZ-ride? Will the front end sag if I get a winch some day?

2. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Nobody has every bought Tuff Country springs and made this decision? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

3. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

I bought 4" TC EZ rides several years ago. My rig is mostly all offroad and I wanted a soft flexy spring. Ive been very happy with them. Personally I would definately go with EZ rides. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

The HD springs are the EZ ride spring with an extra leaf.

There is a recent tech article of Steve swapping in Tuff Country springs into the UAV. He chose the HD springs because he has the added weight of an aftermarket bumper, etc up front. He mentioned that if he wants a softer ride at some point that he'll take the extra leaf out and voila...EZ ride springs.

[ QUOTE ]
    what's the downside to the plain old EZ-ride? Will the front end sag if I get a winch some day?

[/ QUOTE ]

In short: yes. The EZ rides have a lower spring rating than the HD. Spring rate is given as weight/deflection. Say for example the EZ ride is 300 lb/in and the HD is 400lb/in (those ARE NOT the actual numbers). That means that with 300 pounds on the EZ ride spring it will deflect/compress 1 inch. So, if you put 400 pounds on it, it will deflect more than that...whereas 400 pounds on an HD spring will only deflect 1 inch.

Here's an idea: buy HD springs and right away make them EZ ride springs by taking out that extra leaf. Save the extra leaf and when you install a winch some day, put them back in the pack.

5. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

I agree w/ heavy 4X4's idea. It's like a lot of ideas here: thinking ahead and looking at component choices in terms of how it will effect the "system" of your entire truck. Too many guys make parts or component choices based on isolated goals, but a vehicle is the sum total of sytems working in harmony, or disharmony. Anyway, I have EZ ride springs and they work well for me. But I don't sport a winch or heavy front bumper.

6. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

I've got 6" ez-rides, and love every minute of them!