Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

F-22 Raptor? $135M......

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by cbbr, Apr 26, 2006.

1. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Can of WD-40 for hinges? $4. Chainsawing the trapped pilot out in front of photographers: Priceless.:D

Look here.

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

WOW:eek1: :eek1: :eek1: what a mess

Our squadron is flying with the F-22's during our next det. Looking forward to checking them out.

3. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Nice, technology at work.

4. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sucked for the Pilot!
    Looks like they towed him into a hanger, out of the sun, if he wasn't already in the shade! :p:

When we first got our A-10's, we quickly learned that if you switched off the battery from the ground, the guy/girl working in the cockpit would be trapped if they had lowered the canopy. If you reached behind ya on one side, there was a lever to disengage the lock, on the other side was a lever that blows the canopy off. The one time I was locked in, I radioed my expediter to come switch on the battery, I figured I'd get the wrong lever and blow it off! :doah:

5. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Been hearing about this for a few days now on an aviation board I frequent.
    There's a lot more to the story than WD-40 could ever fix. Besides, there's FAR better stuff for aircraft than WD-40...

6. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Did you see the jackass comment about how cockpit designs should be more like those WWII British aircraft? And he's supposed to be an industry insider:rolleyes:

7. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

Question: Why does it take so many guys in space suits to cut through an aircraft canopy? :dunno:

8. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Yeah... with small panels to look through, and lots of framework to obstruct your vision. Then in 5 years Congress will have kittens because pilots are having mid-airs during ACM in the expensive new toy, and the CFIT rate goes through the roof...:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :angry1:

Because the ejection seat the pilot is strapped into (less than a foot from that saw) has a goodly amount of rocket fuel, explosives, and high-pressure oxygen in it. Plus the aircraft had a full fuel load on board, since he was preparing to go flying. Plus the aircraft is expensive & sensitive, so the crash-crew boss is kinda expected to be there to lend his experience and caution to the task. Plus fighter canopies aren't exactly lightweight, so they're gonna need a few extra bodies to move it.

Bottom line - it's a $135 million asset, with a living person less than a foot in all directions from the canopy they need to cut through. You don't send Billy Bob and Junior out with the chainsaw to go a-cuttin' on a job like that.

9. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

They did a good job of minimizing damage to the aircraft although those minor repairs will cost a couple million. That is one expensive canopy due to its design.