Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

F-250 shock tower install - tons of pics

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CK5, Nov 16, 2000.

1. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Just finished installing the ford shock towers on one side (I can only do so much) anyway they look like they will work great. I used two holes from the old bracket and drilled one extra one (1/2" grade 8) and then cut the extra tower off while it was on the frame and even cut an angle on the end so it wouldn't look like a hack job.

http://www.coloradok5.com/ranchoshockreview

[​IMG]
    5,000 Pounds of American Rolling Steel

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[​IMG]Very slick! Easier than re-fabricating you existing mounts too no doubt! Are your brake lines going to be long enough now? How much travel was being limited by the old shocks?

Rene

[​IMG]

3. JST12

JST12 1/2 ton status

Very. Very cool. I have some F-350 front shock mounts laying around from my '99 Ford. Now that I have seen what you did I have some work to do. Anyway did you make the rear shock mount crossmember yourself or did you buy it somewhere? Thanks. JT

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Nicely done!!
    Here are my ????
    How did you figure out the total hight of the mount you needed? Distance from the bottom mount to the top mount??
    I asume thoes are 9012s?
    Next, now I know what to ask my wife for Xmas[​IMG]......
    Good job dude, I think I smell something........is it....yes a tech review write up on how to xn taller towers[​IMG]

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com

5. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Very nice Steve. I guess that's what I'll be doing also[​IMG]. One question to add to the many already. How much of the Ford shock tower did you have to cut off? Thanks
    Boss
    http://www.boss.coloradok5.com

[​IMG]

6. CK5

The brake lines will be a tad short, they are 6" longer than stock, I will be going to a Dana 60 and will need new ones anyway, so at that point I will get longer ones. I cut off 4" off the bottom of the towers. The rear shock setup I had a local shop do. As far as the height goes, I put them at 6 1/2" extended, almost dead center, I was going to go a little lower but my measurment was off a bit, at the angle they are at they should have plenty of travel.

[​IMG]

7. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

8. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

very clean. how did you determine the 6.5"?

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com

9. AZK5

AZK5 1/2 ton status

The picture quality is awesome! You don't need to say a word and I could just look through the pictures and see exactly how to make and install raised shock towers. How much did those Furd towers cost? It looks like they are new from the Dealership.
    CB

10. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Thanks man, how did you know that mod was slated for Turkey weekend? The pics help tremendously. One more question though. Did you relocate your bottom shock hangar so it doesn't hang below the axle? I plan on doing this, was wondering if you had any ideas. Thanks for the help

Bryan

[​IMG]

11. CK5

Didn't touch the bottom shock mount at all, I haven't had a problem with hitting it YET.

[​IMG]

12. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Sweet....I bite, whats the part numbers so I can order them. What lenght shock are you running and how tall and brand of lift so I can get an idea if I need to run a different length shock?

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

13. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Ya what Grim said????
    I too would like to pick up a pair of towers and shocks then set them on my "TO DO" shelf of things to put on my K5!!
    Thanks for the info StevO

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com

14. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

One question Steve. When your suspension travels up the bottom of the shock will come up and that will change the angle in relation to the top. When this happens will the shock body still clear the front side of that shock mount. It looks really close. I like how it looks and after I see you ramp it and that shock clears through the full range of motion I would consider changing my, but I will not tell anybody that I used parts off of one of those 4 letter word trucks.

15. CK5

Grim, I am running a Rancho 4" lift with Hill 1" lift shackels for 5" of lift (I will be going to a Dana 60 which has a 1" higher spring pad then removing the Hills in favor of ORD shackles to keep the same ride height). The shocks are Rancho 9012 the longest ones they make. The part number for the shock towers is "E5TZ-18183-A".
    Butch, It is kind of hard to tell from the pics but the lower mount (the one on the axle) is farther out that the frame, so the angle should be fine, I am going to try and ramp it tomorrow or Monday and take pics of it extended and compressed.

[​IMG]

16. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Thanks! I'll see about hitting the dealer this week. I'm only on 2.5 rancho springs but measuring it to the stock 79 it's a full 3.5 inches over stock.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/