Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

F*cking transmission gaskets

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cegusman, Mar 12, 2003.

1. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

I picked up a sm465 trany from a junk yard. I replace all the gaskets, installed it, put gear oil in it, and now every /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.giff*cking gasket is leaking /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif. I have allready lost about 1 quart of gearoil over night. WTF should I have used rtv with the gaskets? If so sould I put it on both sides? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Wow, that sucks! I'd be /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif too!

I guess my best suggestion is to get some gasket-tack. It is the spray-on(aerosol) sticky gasket sealer made by Permatex. There are other types but the Permatex stuff works quite well. You will new and\or oil free gaskets, spray the stuff on (kinda like spray painting them) let it get tacky and then install. Torque everything down and let it sit a while before putting oil back in the tranny. Good Luck! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Here is a link to the Permatex sealant....
    Permatex

4. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

5. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Yes, you could use RTV, but I don't think you need to. The High-Tack spray is very sticky and will adhere everything together. Yes, apply it to both sides. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif