Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

F$#!@^%G noise

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ZK5, Nov 22, 2003.

1. ZK5

ZK5 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I have been chasing a noise for about 2 months and I need some ideas. The noise can be heard at 3800 rpm or more while driving or just reving it up in the driveway. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif The noise sounds very similar to a valve train tick or an exhaust leak or even a bad water pump bearing. So far I have replaced the lifters and cam, valve springs, oil pump, pilot bearing, clutch release bearing and I did have a cracked exhaust manifold so I have since replaced them with T.E.S. You cannot hear the noise while standing over the motor and reving it. the noise is best heard from inside the truck or under the right side of it and reving it to 3800 r's or more. I have thought that it may be a wrist pin or a bearing but I am inclined to beleive that if it was either of those that the noise would be heard at all rpms from idle to WOT and would be much louder and identifiable. And would be heard under load such as driving up a hill. I have used a long pipe and placed it all over the block and heads trying to listen for it but to no avail. It doesnt effect driveability and it doesnt lose power when the noise occurs.
    I also have a centerforce clutch kit. Has anyone ever heard of the weights on the pressure plate making this type of noise at higher rpms? I am grasping at straws here, any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help with this.

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

worn button on the distributor? worn bushings in the distributor??? worn gears on the end of the dist shaft?

3. roadhawg

roadhawg 1/2 ton status

after replacing the lifters...pushrods...rocker arms what i thought was a lifter tick id not go away. I could hear mine best resonating through the mechanical temp gage wire into the cab. it was very hard to hear outside the car. What was it you ask? A loose valve guide, funny thing was the seals were still good and it did not smoke when starting. Hope you find out what it is and its an easier fix than mine was.

4. ZK5

ZK5 1/2 ton status

Valve guides huh? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Some buddies and I where just talkin about that. But because it dont smoke I didnt think so. I will pull the distributor and check it out today. If I have to pull the heads I'm gonna invest in something worth my time to pull em. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Thanks

5. Wally81k5

Wally81k5 1/2 ton status

radio is too quiet.