Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

F$#&@# Hondas

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ksblaze83, Sep 27, 2005.

1. ksblaze83

ksblaze83 1/2 ton status

long story

[rant] Took the wife's car into the tranny shop about 2 and a half weeks go and got it back today. Starts off great the shop gives us our recite (1900 dollars later) and it has their little 12 month 12,000 mile warranty and tells us we need to drive it about 50 miles to get the computer programmed to our driving style. Soo we're taking it on a little stroll down the highway and sure as **** about 25 miles into it the tranny starts doin the same damn thing, which is slipping and running like SHIAT.
    Now i will explain what kinda tranny/transaxle thing the honda has. It's a 99 civic hx. It's got a CVT transaxle thingy, which i saw it tore apart and it has a steel belt that goes around 2 pully's which expand and contract to give you the "shifting." Well anyways this GREAT design makes it so not very many tranny shops will even work on them and the honda dealership will just get you a new one for the outstanding price of 5495 plus taxes!!!
    Anyway back on track the check engine light came on (p1890 a/t concerns) and on the dash where the PRND21 is the D keeps blinking even if it's in park it keeps blinking. Normally it's suppose to just stay highlighted not blink. Anyways turning off the car and waiting a few minutes will get rid of the slipping and the blinking of the D but the check engine light stays on. I think it's about time to just junk it, we already put damn near $2000 into a $5000 car! [rant/]

short story

Tranny/transaxle in a 99 civic HX is the most retarded idea in a car. Do not even consider getting one unless you want to waste money at a tranny shop!!!

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'd take it back and use that
    . Do it enough times and they'll either replace it at thier cost, or refund your money.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Damn straight! If some shop had $1900 of my money and the car acted the same i'd be there every week until they refunded, fixed or got a restraining order...:crazy:

rene

4. ksblaze83

ksblaze83 1/2 ton status

yeah the shop said any problems at all bring it back, so that's the plan. Im just pissed cause we got quoted 3 days and it took about 2 1/2 weeks cause that transaxle is soo complicated. It just really sucks being without the other car cause we need 2 vehicles!

5. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

when I got my 700r rebuilt a couple of months ago, i picked up a temp gauge off them for the tranny. It went on the fritz on saturday and I called them up, not only did they replace the gauge, the replaced the sender in the test port and installed everything for me :D

just gotta go down and stick around while they work on it to make sure they do it.

6. ksblaze83

ksblaze83 1/2 ton status

http://civic.indybbs.net/viewtopic.php?p=8925253&sid=3351fe1256b4e53d42da3dc835d17a20

AWESOME news about the honda civic HX.....CVT Tranny's RULE!!!!

Yeah the guy who built it brought me into the shop and showed me everything and explained how a CVT tranny works. Bench was SUPER clean and everything he showed me looked like he knew what he was talking about, and he has a huge manual out and showed me everything in the books too. Basically from what i've found is these cars aren't worth it. The 35-40mpg doesn't pay off when a 2000+ tranny needs replaced/rebuilt every 50 thousand miles or so!

7. gambit420s

gambit420s 1/2 ton status

and thus the hat....

fuck you honda.JPG

8. ksblaze83

ksblaze83 1/2 ton status

yeah hondas suck, but it was nice getting 35+mpg's though...

we just got the car back tonight at 5:45 and took it out on the test drive and i will be taking the car back tomorrow when i get off work!

[​IMG]

9. gambit420s

gambit420s 1/2 ton status

sucks for you... sorry

cvt always seemed like a bad idea, automatics in general seem like a cluster****, but esp the cvt's, its a good idea in theory but longevity is not one of their strong suits,

i just wonder what honda and VW/audi were thinking.. i mean both have a relativly good rep for quality even on new tech but you would think they would test them more, before releasing them

i have seen audi do stupid things before, namely the haldex differentials, they suck ass but after a few years the switched to a zexel/thorson type unit and they are signifigantly better but still not as cool as the old-school spline lock vacumn diff they had in the 80's (15+ years before arb...)

i would say dump the cvt, either the whole car or just stick a manual in it...

good luck...

ps. my $50 86 audi 4000cs quattro gets 28-30, does more wheeling than any H1, H2 or H3 i've ever serviced, and even after building a new motor(leaking heater core, friend borrowed and didn't keep water in it), it hasn't cost me $2K... oh and i've rolled one 4 times at 90+mph off a embankment, and walked away, now if i could only afford the turbo version.....

10. gone huntin

gone huntin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Nissan Muranos have CVT trannies and require a special fluid. The only failure I've seen in the three years the Muranos have been out is when a customer got talked into a tranny flush by a Jiffy Lube. The dipsticks are actually bolted in with an m6 bolt and there is a sticker telling you about the fluid and they still f'd it up.

11. ksblaze83

ksblaze83 1/2 ton status

Yea took it to a tranny shop that knew about the "special" fluid from honda when we got it flushed. Another way of keeping money in their(honda) pockets....at 11.25 a quart, and the tranny STILL went out!

12. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

Heh, Jiffy Lube. I saw a fair share of blown engines come from them when I worked at the engine shop. I swear their Application for Employment must look:

1.) Full Name (if you cannot read or write have sameone fill this in for you)

2.) Do you have a brain? (This may not disqualfy you if you say "no")

3.) Do you have hands?

A bunch of idiots there. Never, EVER go to Jiffy Lube.