Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

F**kin hypocrites

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by gjk5, Oct 25, 2006.

1. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

make me sick but I thought this was interesting:

http://www.tmz.com/2006/10/18/celebs-who-claim-theyre-green-but-guzzle-gas

Julia Roberts

On the ground: Roberts drives a Prius, which gets (at best) 60 miles to the gallon, shaving 30 miles off a normal car's mpg.
    In the air: Chicago/LA, 1,749 miles in a private jet, the route she took with Rupert Everett while shooting "My Best Friend's Wedding."
    Gas guzzled: 2,100 gallons of jet fuel.
    Prius Penance: Julia would have to drive 30,000 miles, or roughly once around the earth and then some to even out her consumption in the air.
    So Julia says: No word yet from Julia's rep.

No surprise.

Jennifer Lopez

On the ground: J-Lo tools around in her 60 miles-per-gallon Prius.
    In the air: LA /New York, 2,475 miles in a private jet. Lopez was actually sued by a private jet company for allegedly skipping out on the bill, though she says it's all a misunderstanding and she was not supposed to be billed.
    Gas guzzled: 2,750 gallons of jet fuel.
    Prius penance: She'd have to drive 45,000 miles, and that's a lot longer for Jenny than just going down the block. It's actually more like twice around the earth.
    So Jennifer says: There was no comment from Lopez's rep

Also unsurprising

George Clooney

On the ground: George favors a Tango, an electric car that gets a whopping 135 miles to the charge.
    In the air: Los Angeles/Tokyo, 5500 miles in a private jet.
    Gas guzzled: 7,000 gallons of jet fuel.
    Electric shocker: Even with his super-saver Tango, he'll have to drive over 57 oceans -- Pacific Oceans to break even.
    So George says: Clooney's rep, publicist Stan Rosenfield, tells TMZ, "You clearly have no understanding of certain people's need for private transport," and points out that Clooney often has "no control" over his travel schedule.

I hate this self-righteous prick already so this makes me feel justified. I'd forgive him if he'd let me shove that "Tango" up his keister.

Brad Pitt

On the ground: Eco-champ Brad is yet another Prius-lover, and he reportedly has several hybrids in his stable.
    In the air: Los Angeles/Namibia, 9,400 miles in a private jet.
    Gas guzzled: 11,000 gallons of jet fuel.
    Prius penance: Brad burned enough fuel to take a Prius to the moon.
    So Brad says: Pitt didn't have any comment. His rep tells TMZ that Pitt is out of the country.

Eh, at least he's not so preachy, still disgusting though.

And the true-blue Green Award goes to ... Leo DiCaprio.

On the ground: Leo drives a Toyota Prius
    In the air: Leo flies just like us folk -- commercial, unless he positively must fly private because of scheduling.
    Prius penance: None.

Holy chit! A hollywoodite with a morally defensible position! Good for Leo.

List would be better if it had Susan Sarandon and her annoying husband Tim listed.

2. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Newsflash: The prius doesn't get 60mpg.

Avg reports are it averages about 40-42.
    A Jetta diesel does better, 49mpg highway, been around since the early 90's.

3. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

So the f*ck what? Do you want them to drive to tokyo? As least they are making an effort in one part of their lives...

4. uberbeans

uberbeans 1/2 ton status

All hail the Jetta TDI!!!! I have a blue 2000 and WILL NOT EVER get rid of it. The best DD ever made.

5. uberbeans

uberbeans 1/2 ton status

Can't argue with that. I can't imagine they are any more preachy than the lounge. Just higher profile.

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I have the smog , egr and such hooked up , and I pass with less than half the allowed . Do I get a cookie ?

7. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Yeah, sheer genius that statement. They are making an effort my ass. The Prius that they put 2K miles a year on when they are not being driven around by a chauffeur or jetted around by a pilot does absolutely nothing but make them feel better. I can respect the 4 guys in my office building that drive a Prius, they are actually making an effort by making that car their primary mode of transportation. These celebrity asshats own a Prius just to be able to say "I own a Prius". If they really wanted to make an effort they would not fly a friggin' Gulf IV, they could take a commercial flight and split the gas 120 ways.

That's like saying the heroin addict is at least making an effort because he quit smoking cigarettes (but he's still shooting up $500 every day).

And for the sake of full disclosure, if I had $100MM I too would be flying a private jet, I just wouldn't presume to tell you how to treat the environment or what you should drive. I don't care that they own a Prius, just that they do not practice what they preach.

8. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Took the words out of my mouth... Or off my keyboard I guess...

9. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Well, if you'd take the keyboard out of your mouth...

10. koldsimer

Sure, I bet you wouldn't have an opinion on anything if you were wealthy.:rolleyes: According to your rational, why shouldn't they take a boat to their destination. It does, after all, consume less gas per passenger than a plane, right? Oh wait, because they could ROW there way across the Atlantic and then, and only then, could they have the right to make a point concerning environmental conservation.

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Honestly, if I had the coin those celebrities have, I wouldn't worry about MPG's and I'd drive a majorly built Big Block powered monster every where I went. But then again I'm no greeny either. Wanting too save the planet/environment is cool and all, but it seams most celebrities are only flappin' the yaps about it because it's the "poppular" thing too say. I just couldn't drive a guttlass wonder if I had the fundage for the fuel I'd go through.

12. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The planet is fine, the people are f*cked....

13. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

]

Um how bout not take a private jet??? How about fly commercial. Its nto a special trip just fro yuor rich as...

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Better yet, how about they shut the ____ up about what everybody else drives. I don't care if they have a private jet, but don't tell me what not too drive because it doesn't get ultra high MPG's and what not.

15. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

The real problem is not the one trip a year on a private jet. The real problem is that the celebs in question are probably making several of the trips a year, wasting tens of thousands of gallons of fuel, not to mention there are no emission control devices on aircraft. I don't expect anyone to drive to Japan or from NY to LA, but flying first class wouldn't be so bad.

This has been a sore spot with the greenies for several years. I seem to remember a prominent female getting her panties all in a bunch about the H1/H2 thing, but flew her private jet once a month from NY to FL on the weekends to "vacation".

IMHO, this topic is like beating your head against the wall. Hybrids cost more per mile to operate than standard automobiles, and there are less resources put into conventional automobiles. Celebs/Rich folk will do what they want, and I'm ok with that. Just an easy target for us normal type people.

x3 on the diesel Jetta's. That is a real fuel saver, has decent performance and more room than the Prius. Much better choice.

16. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

We have a winner. Why is it somebody has some acting skills and all of a sudden their opinion is more important than anybody else's? If you trust a single word out of those morons mouths, you need some serious education.....

17. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Read : if you're gonna preach it, live it.

18. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

gjk5, read :"state of fear"

by micheal crichton, you willl enjoy it.

19. uberbeans

uberbeans 1/2 ton status

Michael Crichton is very entertaining fiction writer.

20. koldsimer

I read it and comprehended the majority of it. So why exactly are they driving a prius? It certainly isn't the "cool factor". Budgetary limitations? Nope. They inherently have some right to voice what others drive when they drive such a car. Lets say i'm out fishing on my favorite pond. I see some jerk-off who just changed his oil dumping his used oil in the creek that feeds my pond. Since my truck leaks a little oil, do I not have the right to tell him to stop. It's kinda the same thing. Would I be slightly hypocritical? Yes. Would I have the right all the same? Yes. I just love how so many people hate certain celebrities based on nothing more than political affiliation or environmental activism and then get all butt hurt when they say something so outrageous like suggesting people drive fuel efficient cars. That being said, i'm going to drive my fuel inneficient truck to go shoot my guns at small critters while thinking about killing commies and outlawing gays.:D