Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

F!@#$NG DEATH WOBBLE...I have tried ever fix from on this board.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fortcollinsram, Jul 26, 2004.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Well I finally drove the my newly swapped in D60 with ORD x-over and TCI ez-ride spings and greasable bushings....It was all fine and dandy until I came crossed the rail road tracks and then all hell broke loose...I never realized how bad this death wobble crap is until now....

So far I have these bases covered

-Rebuilt kingpins wish a couple washers under each cap.
    -ALL new TRE's for the x-over
    -Rebuilt steering box
    -weld-in and bolt-in steering box braces
    -new wheel bearings
    -all tires balanced to within .5oz

I put a steering stabilizer on and it helped a LITTLE but the problem was still there so I removed the stabilizer until I find a way to fix this correctly.

What do you all feel should be my next step? I am already planning hydro-assist and have about 50% of the parts, but like I said, I want to fix the DW first.

I think the next logical step for me is to get the toe set correctly on an alignment rack rather than with my jenky-ass measuring-tape-and-chalk method. Then from there I think I will look closely at all the components involved and make sure they are all tight and solid...

What are your thoughs...I have been too damn busy to mess with this at all and it ALWAYS something when you do swaps like these...

Chris

2. highrider_44s

highrider_44s 1/2 ton status

how much lift is in your truck? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    i put 8" of lift in my truck and the truck was all over the road especially when off road i but a pan hard bar in and it slowed it down tremendously maby that might be the problem /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Before you do anything else, try putting fender washer on top of the Kingpin springs. If this works, your Kingpin springs are worn out, and the washer gives you more pre-load on the bushing. Check the bushings while you are at it, check the bushings.

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

His whole axle is brand new and he has the fender washers already installed.

Chris, check the toe again, and look at the tires from the front of the truck. Do they lean in any? Run a plumb bob from the fender down past the tire and measure. It was a problem on AZ-K5's D60 after install. Also check your pinion angle.

Harley

5. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

In my case,
    Try lowering your air pressure in the front tires slightly.
    Try torquing the hell out of the ubolts...
    Then try toe-ing it out just a little bit at a time. When i smashed my tierod in the rocks it got deathwobble a lot worse (too much toe in!)
    Then put on the hydro assist.... and it will be pretty much eliminated except for HUGE potholes or train tracks. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I don't know how you guys without hydro assist do it...
    My truck is undriveable with death wobble without the hydro ram hooked up.

6. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Woops, read that one a little to fast.

7. efilnikufecin

efilnikufecin 1/2 ton status

i had the same DW.replaced all the front end parts,it was still there.i got it aligned and it went away.that would be my next step if i were you

8. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Go get someone to throw it up on the Alignment machine at a shop. I bet either your Caster and/or your toe-in is not set right causing the tires to "fight" each other.

9. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

Hate to be a kill joy, have the balance on those tires checked again. My first DW exp was after i got new tires, i think a lead popped off cuz when i took it back to the shop, was way off. Just a thought before ya spend more $$.

10. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

I was having a nightmare with my DW and it turned out to be a warped rim. I made it my spare and now i can get all the way to 65 mph before my chunked TSL's go crazy.

11. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

The D60 is really picky on pinion angle. I had to use shims to make up for my longer shackles to get it close enough. The design of the 60's steering axis is usually at fault. The 60 *leans* the tires over more when turning. This helps tremendously when off road or towing heavy loads (reason for the design) but it makes the slightest difference from stock a PITA. This *leaning* is multiplied when the castor/camber crap is off a little bit. Then the tires really fight each other. I have had a horrible time tuning my 60. I had to replace the rotors and pads to make the truck driveable (they were warped from a fall off of their rebuild stand). This is my DD so it needs to be fully usable. I would check the pinion angle, and have the rotors turned as a next step. Getting the toe set right is a big thing too (but that can be done with a tape measure and jack stands).

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

How many washers did you put in there? I run 4 per side and have no death wobble no matter what I hit. My tires aren't even balanced...

Rene

13. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

time to source a stiffer spring
    or build a preloadable upper bearing

14. fortcollinsram

I pulled py steering apart last night and think I may be on to something...

Does ORD's x-over steering use the same TRE at every location (the knuckles for the tie rod, the steering arm and the pitman arm)? I have 2 different types of TRE's. The differences are VERY small. They both have the 7/8"-18 shank in the respective left- and right-hand thread but the "spindle" part that goes int othe tapered holes in the knuckle, steering arm or pitman arm are slightly different on the 2 different ends.

Should the TRE's for all the locations be the same (in terms of the "spindle" design and size, not the shank thread)

Chris

15. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

You tried everything except Hydro Assist!

16. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

add a removable track bar....

Marv

17. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

ALIGN IT! I talked at length with one of the front end guys at work and he says first check the ball joints/ king pins then check alignment. I bet, as AZ-K5 said, your caster angle is out of wack.

18. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

does it do it when the PS belt is removed?

19. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

MJ may be on to something. It could be a worn out steering pump. I don't know the exact science behind it, but the pump acts like sort of a "stabilizer" for your steering box. So when there's an input or jerk from the tires, it's transmitted through the draglink through the pitman arm and back through the steering box. A worn out pump cam cause the inputs from the tires not to be "dampened" effectively. Anybody else have any more input on this?

Will

20. fortcollinsram

fixed it...

The toe was in just a little too much...I am now wobble free. I even took out the washers from the kingpins! I have no washers and no steering stablizer so I guess I can consider it solved... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif THanks for the input gang.... Now I can put my hydro-assist on and go beat the pee outta it :-D

Chris