Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

F@rd 205 w/doubler and D60

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by MaxCrack, Jun 16, 2001.

1. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

Hell O Stephen and the rest at ORD,

I am seriously thinking about doing a high pinion D60 from a F@rd and the doubler with a F@rd np205 on my '75 Blazer (which luckily for me has an sm465 tranny and an np203 t-case just begging for the doubler). I found a F@rd F-250 Ranger at the junk yard with a high pinion D44 and what I believe is a 205 transfer case. I want to make absolutely sure this is the transfer case I will need before I go through the trouble of pulling it out and paying for it.

So what I need to know is...what tell tale signs do I look for on the T-case? I belive I want a 31 spline female input, Is that right? What should the bolt pattern be? This one has (I believe) 6 bolts in a circle on the adapter side of the T-case and an automatic transmission (I have no idea what kind) with four bolts for the adapter. And I do not know what year the truck is because the VIN plate is gone. Also the t-case has a slip yoke style rear output. Is this OK? And can I change it fairly easily if everything else is right?

Thanks in advance,
    Mike

That's because I'm the devil.

2. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

A high-pinion D44 on an F250 makes it a 77-1/2 to 79 model. Its definitely an NP205 and you're right on the spline count.

The Ford Doubler (the one on their page) won't work with the GM 203. The Ford and GM 203's are exact mirror images of each other:
    http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/CustomDoubler.htm

3. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I saw that page about the custom doublers, that's why I started thinking about putting the F@rd stuff on, I especially like the high pinion d60 part. Now I just need to know If I found the right t-case. And of course, then I have to find the right axle.

That's because I'm the devil.

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

The only really nice thing ford did for interchanging parts was the transfer cases. All the big stuff used a 6 hole pattern with a 31 spl input. ANY ford married 205 will work for you. there may be variations in the speedo location and type, case shape (minor variations) and I didn't know ford used a slip yoke ever, but it's possible. You might also check yoke types. If you have a choice, you could make sure you get yokes you want to use, rather than having to replace them.
    The output should be a pretty simple swap, just like the GM setup. New output shaft and seal housing. But I would just look for the perfect Ford 205 rather than messing with it.
    Thanks

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    [image]http://coloradok5.com/logo_ordsmall.gif[/image]
    SW-ORD