Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

F*RDs SUCK!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Mar 3, 2007.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Just figured I'd mention. As some of you know I work in a Ford/Mitsubishi dealer. I am a Mitsubishi Technician and try to touch Fords as little as I can. Well I worked today, and Saturdays are pretty much always all Ford work.

Got a Taurus in for inspection. Needed front struts. Fine, my writer sells it and I get off to work. Start going through all the normal crap I'd do to do front struts, then I hit a road block. I can't get the damn things out. Wtf?? I fought them for a while trying everything I could think and they just wouldn't go. So I ask one of my teammates. "Oh yea you have to lower the subframe.." "are you ****ing kidding me?" "nope, its just a little bit left that you can't get them out right?"

So a set of front struts that I got paid 2 hours for, took me almost 3. Damn Ford. I swear they have to hire the worst engineers on the face of the planet.

I can do front struts on about any Mitsubishi in about 30 minutes. Out, swap the springs, and back in. AND!!!! They pay better on Mitsubishis too :mad:

so yea, **** fords.

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I'm had the exact same "are you ****ing kidding me?" look on my face when I realized that you had to pull the entire engine out of my wifes old 91 Explorer to get the oil pan off. :rolleyes:

j

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

what year ford sled? i have never had to drop the sub frame to do struts.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

98 Taurus. The lower control arm bolts inside of the subframe, so you can only push it down so far before it bottoms out on the frame and won't move any more. Which is about 1/4" too soon for the strut to slip out of the knuckle.

of course it has the stupid pinch style aluminum knuckle instead of just bolting the damn strut to the thing.

5. sweetk30

some body told you wrong boy. you best tell them thay do it the hard way.

you just didnt find the right order of things to do. its tight but thay pop right out with out dropin the subframe down. we get broken ford springs all the time in my area and change them on a short time frame.

side not tho. have you seen the new loaded jobber front struts the parts stores sell now. new strut / spring / bearing plate. thay just bolt in fully assembled. :eek1: :wink1:

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

haven't seen those.

Think about this a second boss, if the spring is broken, the overall length is less. Making the exact reason you have to lower the subframe disappear ;).

One side came out without doing that, the other just wouldn't until I backed the bolts for the subframe out halfway.

And a broken spring on a Ford? Never....

7. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

They tell you to do that for my 99 Jimmy's oil pan. You have to measure clearance between the trans and the oil pan...my thoughts? WTF???:haha:

Sled, just don't be around when you have to do an alternator on a Ford Contour. Those really, really suck.

8. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Go get you an E450 Conversion van with a 6.0 diesel. You have to lift the cab off the chassis to get the valve covers off.

9. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

taurus struts are 45 minute job for both, with new swaybar links and an alignment... gravy money, and never been paid less than 3 hours to do struts (plus an alignment)... you need a bigger prybar, but they'll come out without dropping the subframe....

10. sweetk30

yess the broken one comes out easy. but the non broken does pop out. once you do a few you will find the trick and bang them out.

try the older hondas with no indexing mark points and have to figure out the way the parts go together to get it to bolt in the car with new springs. :wink1:

i think the hardest ones i have done are nissan altimas. just a funky design. on my day off a few weeks ago thay got a newer setup in and thay said those were a PITA big time. dont recall what it was at this time.

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Thats not true. Guys at work pull everything off of 6.0Ls in the van all the time. I've seen it done. THink about it, how can you do a cab lift on an E450 conversion van? The only ones I ever work on are Ambulances... you can't lift that off, at least not with any setup most guys have.

I guess you can learn a trick to anything. Heck one of the guys at work knows a good trick to do those Contour alternators fast. I will never do one(now that I say it I will be forced to soon I am sure). I'll stick to the Mitsubishis that I know like the back of my hand. I can picture most of the bolts and their sizes that I need to do most any operation on the damn things.

12. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

To work on,yes...they suck..

I've been warned about my Contour's alternator and starter--my friend tells me if either fail,I could probably buy another car cheaper than fixing it,takes hours just to FIND them,never mind replace them,just about everything in the way needs to be removed,and all the bolts often snap off!--he says the best thing to do would be to burn it,and report it stolen!..:eek1: ..hope it never has either one go out while I own it..:doah: ..I could fix NOTHING under the hood of my Contour on the side of the road,not even a simple fan belt or radiator hose failure--both require a lift,and a lot of dissasembly!..:mad:

I see many broken Fords in my friends shop--It never fails to amaze me how difficult Fords are to work on compared to other makes,and how cheesy some stuff is on them....much more complicated,bundles of wiring and dozens of relays (little wonder many are in with electrical problems)...it seems they delight in making mechanics lives miserable...I much prefer my old rusty Chevy trucks...:crazy:

13. sweetk30

since we are talking about fun cars and parts to fix. lets play find the starter on a northstar motor like in a caddy v8 32 valve. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :haha:

14. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

there is a good game for a newbie :haha:

15. sweetk30

who is the newby we should try it on ? ? ?

16. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

haha, not sure. Its just like sending the new kid for the left handed smoke shifter in the Boy Scouts is all, ha.

I passed my State Inspection course with a laugh. One of the steps in PA inspection is checking the battery hold down. The car they had in the shop for me to perform said inspection on? A late model Chrysler product. Think it was a Sebring. So I get to that step and stop... The Instructor asks what is wrong? "I can't find the battery". He tells me it has to be there, takes one look and goes.... I have no idea where it is. I passed because I spotted it first, haha. What I want to know is, how did the folks before me pass? haha.

17. NateInChandler

NateInChandler 1/2 ton status

youguys are nuts, fords are awesome when it comes to work and stuff.. i can have a ax4n (trans type) out in about 18 minutes when im left alone.general repair on fords must suck (havent done too much with general repair on fords). we make all our money off fords and thats why i love them. HAHA.. nate

18. MTChevy

MTChevy 3/4 ton status Premium Member

we had to tear one of them down here in Wyotech. What a fancy place for the starter, our engine was out of car so it wasnt that bad. I guess if anything everyone got a kick out of saying plenum for a while...

19. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Whoa, timeout, I don't know anything about northstars...as in intake plenum...WTF?

20. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

yea the lovley northstars have the starter under the intake manifold talk about a fun job just to change a starter