Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

F150 torsion bar keys for lift?

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by GRAYTEXK5, Apr 2, 2007.

1. GRAYTEXK5

GRAYTEXK5 1/2 ton status

I have a '99 Z71, and would like to get a little bit of lift, and some bigger tires under it, for as cheap as possible. somebody was telling me that you can use stock ford F150 torsion bar keys, and it wil give it a couple extra inches or so. anyone know anything about this? he said he has a friend that dd it, and he's running 305s, or 35s, I don't remember...but they were bigger than my 285s, whatever the case. lifting the rear is easy enough, just looking for some ideas for the front...as IFS lifts are ridiculously expensive. anyone know if there's ay truth to this, and if so...what year model F150 keys do I need to use? thanks

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yes, on the new body style rigs, you can use an F150 key and it will lift he front end an inch or two. Its basically just cracnking the Tbars a bit, but without adjusting the bolts. Ford keys are indexed differentally.

XL3Z-5B328-CA - Is the part number you need.

Here is a good article about T-Bar stuff, including the Ford keys.
    http://www.gmfullsize.com/tech/torsion401.html

3. GRAYTEXK5

GRAYTEXK5 1/2 ton status

thanks. that helps a lot.

4. nerraw117

nerraw117 1/2 ton status

this still works for 96-98 obs right? and getting the ford keys. does that still mess up the suspension as much as not using them? im wanting to get 2 inches if lift out of my torsion bars. i know ican out of the stock keys. if i get the ford keys i know i wont have to turn the bolt as much but does it still effect the suspension in a negative way? im trying to debate to spend 50 bucks on the ford keys.

5. nerraw117

nerraw117 1/2 ton status

would yall recommend a 2 inch block or a 2 inch add a leaf. i like the extra load carrying capacity with the add a leaf. but i heard that they mostly only run inch and 1/2.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I've always heard not to do it on the 89-98 body style. The torsion bars can't be cranked that much without bad consequences on those trucks. So, no you cannot do this.

You could crank up the tbars an inch or two and put 1 or 2" block out back. I've seen that done a lot. The truck sits how it should have from the factory when you do that.

You need to get the truck aligned after cranking the Tbars. I never did when I cranked mine, and that thing had terrible camber. It wore the outside edge of the tires horriblly and going through corners you could hear the sidewall rolling over.

7. cjjones

cjjones 1/2 ton status

I have a 2001 with 305 MTR's, I have done a 3" body lift on all my IFS trucks to get the extra clearance and it has worked out great for me.

8. nerraw117

nerraw117 1/2 ton status

arent obs and nbs front ifs the same? yea i ws thinking a 3 inch body. but the obs frames hang low.

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

no they are different. same basic design(in that they are both torsion bar suspensions) but everything is different.

body lifts on 89+ rigs are hideous IMHO. They are a quick easy way to get some height, and it sucks that the 2-3" lifts are junk, but I cannot stand the look of the frame hanging way down on a truck. The frames are already heavily exposed, another 3" of frame showing is just ugly, I think.