Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

FAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWK!!! (sorry may offend) Adult Language

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Leadfoot, Jan 15, 2003.

1. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I just had to get this off my chest. Monday afternoon/evening my 78 was broken into and had quite a bit of stereo equipment and interior items stolen. I called the security office (I'm a clinical engineer at a large hospital in Western Mass and park in a "secure" parking lot where you have to have a permit to park) who came to look at the damage.
    The thiefs pried the lock out of the passenger's side door (door was less than two years old). They trashed the interior taking my amp, kicker boxes, wiring, and center console. All the custom interior work that the previous owner did (they do custom interiors and glasswork) was trashed.
    I then called the local cops who showed up and take a half-a$$ed report.

I then call the insurance company the next morning at 8a.m. they told me to get quotes from a couple of different body shops, gets quotes of the lost equipment, and quotes to fix the tonneau and redo the interior.

Body shop $530 for damage repairs
    Interior fixes and tonneau (same shop) was $600
    and stolen stereo equipment, console, etc. $1200
    There is also my time for installing new equipment or paying somebody to do it (2.5 hours at $30/hr shop labor) for $75 which is cheap.

Total conservative estimate is $2400.

Insurance company adjuster said I pay my $500 deductable and they will give me a check for $300.

$500 + $300 = $800 What the [censored] happened to the other $1600 /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Where I had the equipment mounted behind the seats (12" woofer boxes and amp) you can see the imprints on the seat. It's not like I had a pair of 6x9's in there with a tiny amp and now I'm trying to make out on the deal by saying I had more or bigger than what I had (you can actually see the damn imprints on the back of the seat).

I had a picture of the truck that shows the speakers in there and showed him it. His comment to me was "How does my company know those were in there at the time of the theft"? I felt like saying because the assholes wouldn't have broken into it otherwise you [censored] moron..........but I toned it down a little.

Basically you can have photo proof of what's in your vehicle, but unless you film the bastards stealing it, the insurance company won't give you jack [censored]. Plus they "pro-rate" stereo equipment. WTF is that. It's not like a fawking tire that wears out. It either works or it doesn't (and I told him this), and you know what his comment was...."How does my company know it worked at the time of the theft?" What tha [censored]! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Am I supposed to play music for the robbers and film them while they steal my [censored], just so I can get my $$$ back??????????

The world is so [censored] up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry. Just needed to vent a little.................and after the holiday's and my buddy's wedding, funds are tight. I can barely squeak the deductable out, nevermind replacing the stuff that the rapist (oh I meant insurance company) won't......

OK I feel a LITTLE better now.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Yep, insurance companies suck. I had a bunch of stereo stuff stolen and it wasn't covered because it wasn't in stock locations in the vehicle. Anyways, I don't think that it's your responsibility to prove that the stuff was there, it's their responsibility to prove that it wasn't. Not sure on the laws in your area though, but you might look into it, maybe call another insurance company and ask them. I'd look into a different company at this point anyways, just as a matter of principle.

Ao this secure parking garage has no video cameras or what? </font color>

3. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Look into the insurance comission in your area. I had a friend with a built 81 TA that he had invested over $20k in. Someone stole it and when they recovered it, it had been totally stripped. The insurance company offered him like $2000 for it.He had to fight it and finally took it to the insurance comission and they finally gave him what he wanted. Kind of a pain in the ass, though. Good luck!

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Chris that really sucks. Any recourse through the security company? Secure parking is supposed to be just that...secure. Maybe if the security company was informed that you will be shedding some "Media attention" to the piss-poor way they do their job...who knows? Maybe they'll pony up for the parts the insurance company won't?

I would also spend time with your insurance guy and find out what type of coverage you should have so that you will be covered next time (if there is a next time) Here they have a very specific coverage that is standard, but you can get additional coverage for spendy sound systems. You do need good documentation though. Recipts, reciepts for the install, etc etc.

Rene

5. Leadfoot

Yeah, I talked with the hospital (the security "Team" is part of the hospital), and they say there is no recourse (a lawyer may say otherwise, but I don't think I am going to go that route......to many lawsuits in this world as it is). I am upset about my stereo equipment being stolen, but in the grand scheme of things, it's not important enough to lose sleep and time off of work to fight it in court.

I did talk to the insurance guy and he said take pictures and keep receipts, BUUUUUUUUUT that doesn't guarantee %100 percent reimbursement. Years ago it did (most times just on your word), but thanks to fraudulent claims, they are getting more stringent with their policies. Much like a car battery or tire is "pro-rated", audio/visual equipment in a vehicle is pro-rated/depreciated.

He used the analogy of a new car.....Once you drive it off the showroom floor it depreciates. Also the depreciation/pro-rate is larger after first purchase than years down the road (much like the "average" vehicle).

I kinda figured that as I had no receipts for the equipment (bought years ago off my cousin) that I was in trouble (although I did have all the manuals that came with them). I know that was my fault, but I'm more upset about the interior. I can buy audio equipment anywhere and hook it up, but I can't do custom interiors. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Well we'll see how it goes, and I'll keep everyone posted.

6. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

Sorry man /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

7. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Refuse to accept it and fight for more.

I had an SS Monte that was stolen and burned. $12,000 of receipts above the cost of the car (immaculate).

Insurance 'offered' $4,500. After 3 months (I was paying for the rental car at that time) I had them up to about $7,500 /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

They essentially said they did not insure my car - they insured a Monte Carlo.....

Check into additional coverage from your insurance company and/or additional policies. You will pay more in insurance but you might get something reasonable if you ever need it. Same goes for medical if you wheel or ride bikes.

These days you will never get what is rightfully yours (replacement cost) from insurance. Work from there.

8. jackedjimmy350

jackedjimmy350 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gifsorry man /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

9. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I was going to say the same thing; thank the next guy you hear bragging about or trying to fake how much he lost to get more money from the insurance co. Isn. co's have gotten ripped off by so many fraud claims the legit ones get screwed. Not to say most insurance isn't a ripoff anyway...

But I wouldn't settle either. My ins co offered me $500 when some girl wreked my dodge that had a couple grand in it. I hired a lawyer, and a few months later after I'd forgotten it, she sent me a check for $2k (I think, I forget the number now), after her cut. Worked out nice since I'd forgotten it, too...

Good luck with whatever comes out of it!

10. SickboySS

SickboySS 1/2 ton status

where exactly in western mass? like springfield area?

11. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

bummer! sorry to hear that, hope it all works out for you

12. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Chris that really sucks. Any recourse through the security company? Secure parking is supposed to be just that...secure. Maybe if the security company was informed that you will be shedding some "Media attention" to the piss-poor way they do their job...who knows? Maybe they'll pony up for the parts the insurance company won't?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Rene, a car buglary can happen so fast it's not even funny. One can only do so much, but the crooks are so good and security can't be everywhere at once. Just a couple of months ago, I had a car buglary I had to work. I heard the car alarm go off, I came into view of the parking lot maybe 30 seconds later, the burglar was gone. The window was smashed, the stereo mount rack was on the ground, stereo gone, half of the plastic molding around the stereo was in pieces on the floorboard. 30 seconds. That's the estimated time that a 88-95 Chevy P/U and Honda Accord can be broke into, and the thief gone with the vehicle. They are that easy to break into. It's all good if we could watch all the vehicles at the same time, but it's not possible. I would love to catch these punks in the act just once, but time and luck is the advantage of the bad guy.

13. JimmyJuneau

JimmyJuneau 1/2 ton status

What insurance company do you have? Thats a bunch of B.S. that they wont trus y ou on how much you had in your truck. I wouldnt cash that check yet caus eyou can figth them for what you are owed thats why you pay insurance isnt it?

14. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I'm sorry to hear about that. I had the same thing you did. $2500 in damage and stolen items when mine was busted into. The cops wouldn't even come out for it. Said I could bring it to them for dusting. Like you can drive a truck with all the wiring sliced out of it. I was supposed to get $350 back but they took so long farting around I whinned and they waived my deductable. It's nice to know once you are robbed you can expect to be robbed twice more by the cops and insurance companies... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Good luck to you man, you will need it and then some... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

15. Leadfoot

Yup! Springfield MA
    Crime capital of Western Mass.

16. driney

driney 1/2 ton status Premium Member

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    He used the analogy of a new car.....Once you drive it off the showroom floor it depreciates

[/ QUOTE ]
    That's something I never figured out. If a car depreciates you would think your insurance would go down every year, but for some reason mine always goes up. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

17. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

i know how you feel i had a car broken into while i was at a mardi gras parade they stol my old ladys purse my speakers 2 jackets and the speaker boxes that had the amp on it and the insurance company would not pay for any thing but the broken window because none of the stuff taken was permanetly attached to the car and the theivs also cut the convertable top and the ins. said the rip could have already been there. the window was less than my 250 deductable so i got nothing /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif